First pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bacchus8408, Nov 9, 2004.

1. bacchus8408

Nov 9, 2004
    I have been playing for about 2 years now and I think its about time I got an effect pedal. What do you guys recomend I get. Financially right now I have about $150 but cheaper is better. Thanks for any advise
  2. not sure if you consider it an "effects" pedal, but IMO the Sansamp Bass driver is a killer pedal. it gives you some options to affect your tone. it doesn't really have any special effects like delay, chorus, flange etc.

you can get one used for around $125
  3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Any idea what kind of effect you would like to try? Much of your choice involves your style of play. As an example- a hard rock/metal player probably has more use for a good distortion than a jazz or funk player.

4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    You could get one of the fairly horrible Digitech or Zoom multi-fx for $150. If anything it could tell you what fx you like and which you hate so you can buy the much superior single effect pedals later.
  5. bacchus8408

Nov 9, 2004
    well I play mostly jazz and classical sounding stuff but i play it to semihard rock and punk guitar. I just dont really know what different effects are out there and what they do, so im interested in suggestions on the type of effect as well as a brand/model. thanks
  6. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Chorus is pretty broadly applicable, as is compression. Have you thought about those?
  7. Pigtronix Envelope Phaser - aside from a clean boost and a dirt box, it's all any bass player needs!
  8. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    Aphex Bass Exciter. About 130 bucks and you'll sound like a monster. A lot of multi-effects pedals have too much going on and a lot of it sounds like crap. The Aphex sound will give you a great boost and cut you through the mix.
  9. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    go with the first reply and get a SansAmp Bass Driver DI. Also- never buy crappy effects. it may sound simple enough- but for bass it unfortunately seems to take that extra bit of cash to get something that doesnt obliterate your tone or drop the bottom end.
  10. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    Prolly distortion, if you dont have that already. Its pretty basic, and its probably more useful then any modulation or delay effects. I personally use Boss ODB-3, but I've heard alot of people saying its crap, so try it out before you buy.

Although not really an "effect", you could think about getting a compression pedal or rack unit. Something to just generally improve your overall sound.
  11. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I think that one of these will give you a good idea of the sounds you can get with effects and you can upgrade to specific pedals later when you find a sound you really like.