Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first pedalboard - help me get it right

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Funkateer, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    It has become abundantly clear that unless I get a pedalboard, I will never use any of my effects, as setup/teardown is such a pain. I only have a couple of effects now, but see that changing over time, so I'm in the market for a largish board.

The SKB PS45 ($210)would have been ideal (hard shell, size) but there were no AC outlets or 18v outputs.

The Furman SPB 8 ($200) is the right size and has AC, but I'm not sure I want or need the stereo capability, and there is no hard case.

It occurs to me that by spending only a little bit more, I put together something a lot more interesting.

Power: Dunlop DCB-10 brick ($99) 7 nine volts and 3 eighteen volts.

Switching: Custom from Loooper.com (~$150) 3 true bypass loops, A/B input switch (EUB, BG), master bypass, stutter

Case: Still looking. http://www.custompedalboard.com/tl370.htm
    ($140) is a possibility. nycpedalboards.com also has suitable stuff. Any other good sources?

What go all you effects gurus out there think? Anything else I should be shopping for, or paying attention to. For instance, is foam in the lid necessary to keep velcro attached pedals from breaking loose and bouncing around in the case?

Thanks in advance!

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    my guitarist had the dude at nyc pedal boards build him a really badass pedalboard, it made me wish i had done more research before i got my coffin case black kross case (looks coo but alot more flimsier than it looks).

the dc brick can't power certain pedals... food for thought and an argument for the voodoo labs. i just have the boss tu-2 and the daisy chain dealy and i have my ehx pedal with it's own supply.

not all velcro is equal.

3. For a first board I'd suggest just make your own...

Buy a nice size piece of plywood and some varnish (or primer/paint)

Cut it to size/shape, sand and varnish or paint it - then buy some velcro, stick your pedals to it (well, you're not gonna use ALL of them for every gig are you?)

Buy a power block-thing that powers 5 pedals, stick it to the board and hey presto!

(you could probably make it into a box with a hinged lid if you really need to, just go to a DIY shop and they'll have everything you need) IF YOU REALLY CAN'T BE BOTHERED - ask or pay a mate to do it for you! Either way, it's cheaper than buying one...

4. Smoe

Smoe

Jul 20, 2005
    If you're going to build your own - I recommend THICK ply, or some pine. ply is usually too flimsy, and comes apart on the edges and corners if it ever gets knocked around.

Also - you may need to look at getting help to wire up the power - I found that some transformers don't power certain pedals, and make noise in others. It's all about filtering the current.

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i built my first pedal board, but unless you've done some sort of cabinetry before, the box issue is a PITA. however, without one, it doesn't do much good for transportation. after ditching a suitcase i found in the goodwill store, i just went for the storebought.

check out marine ply if you're gonna go for it though.

6. the ultimate pedal board is made from all the crap you can buy at home depot, you can make it to any size you want, change it when ever you want. and have the pride in saying I built this. and with that said, I built mine and I still need to work out the kinks with the latchs not wanting to stay shut, board hasnt droped yet but its close. I need to make mine bigger because the power strip I put on it kills alot of space. but the power strip has a 20 ft cord so I can put it almost anywhere I want.