1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First pedalboard in 10 years

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Sep 24, 2008.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Despite my drummer's protestations, I'm going to put together a small pedalboard for the first time in years and eliminate my rack entirely. I've got two X2 portable wirelesses, an RNC 1773 compressor, an EBS Microbass II, a Sansamp VT, and (if it works out) a Zoom B2 multi, and an optional Rat II.

Since it's small and won't get banged around on trips, I'm thinking about just doing the time-honored piece of scrap wood sprayed black pedalboard. I have to admit some of these commercial boards look pretty spiffy, though. But would they really make it that much easier for me to get in and out of a gig? The only power supplies I'd be using would be a 1-spot and the compressor's wall wart, so I think a scrap wood board would do just fine. But I am way behind the curve on pedalboards these days so if there's some fancy stuff I don't know about that I could use, please let me know.

Also, I need a noise filtering power supply that's as small as I can get. I really only need two outlets, though. I've got a rack-mounted cheapo Furman that I want to eliminate, but I play a lot of places with questionable noise rejection, and the Furman helps out a lot with that. So I want to get something really small with only 2 or 3 outlets if possible, but rejects noise well. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, and before you "Do a search" types start up with me, don't.

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Do a search, yo.

3. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Toasted! But he said...

Jimmy... You said... not to...

Ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh.

4. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    This thread is going to be awesome... or maybe not.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Good answers so far. But seriously, I give out plenty of advice on the stuff I know is searchable, too. So just stop it and tell me what I want to hear ;)

6. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    For that size, you probably won't find a great noise-reducing unit. Try looking at some of the powering options on MF (Furman's got some stuff available), at hardware stores (or their associated websites), and places like thinkgeek. I know monster has a pretty small 3-4 slot power strip. Can't comment on how it filters sound.

The big difference between building and buying right here is protection, durability, and weight. If you think you can make a durable, lightweight board with at least a suitcase to carry it, go ahead. Otherwise, you might want to buy one. You don't have to go overboard and get a Pedaltrain Pro or anything. NYC and Pedaltrain do have some cool smaller units, though.

Also, would you prefer a flat or inclined board?

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I think your black painted board is the best way to go. I'd also just fork out the cash on a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power II. They're great units.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Spanky, I like inclined but I'll only need to stomp on the bottom row so flat would be just fine for this. And after checking out prices, I'm totally feeling the wood more than ever.

Toasted, that's an awfully expensive pedal powerer! I think I'll stick with the 1-spot. If I were running some wild pedalboard with effects from all over the place, I'd get one, but all my effects run with a 1-spot except the comp.

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Try the BBE Supa Charger you do run the risk of hum with a one spot

10. thekage

thekage

Jan 22, 2008
    Cape Girardeau MO
    Somebody Sig this.

11. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimmyM
    I want someone to name a pedal The Jimmy.

From Harmony Central User Reviews:

Wow! I love "The Jimmy!" I can instantly switch from the sound of an old B15 Portaflex to the sound of an ultra lightweight Markbass combo without the hassle of having to actually own either one.

And not only that, but every time I stomp the "Thread Derail" switch, I instantly forget what I was talking about and start making random scatological references.

12. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I like poop.

13. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    TB is getting more and more like YouTube comments all the time. Sadly.

14. OMG FLEA IS THE BEST BASSIST EVER, YOU SUCK, YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, CAPS LOCK IS FUN! LOL!!!!
    :ninja:

15. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    My comment is tongue in cheek, gentlemen. Please relax.:rollno:

16. i would buy "The Jimmy"

17. i dont know if this is a weird day or something is really wrong with TB. JimmyM pours out a lot of good advice everyday, his thread being derailed is not cool imo.
    anyway i dont know much about the noise filtering power suplies but after building my board froom wood and carrying it around in a suitcase i have often felt that the real thing like a pedal train or something would have been a lot more handy and comfortable to use.

edit: but here i do not have an option so my board and suitcase do fine

18. Mr. Pickles

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    Seriously, though... Jimmy - I would recommend the commercial board. DIY is cool and all for the base, but you'll also need some type of covering/case. I found a Gator Pedal Tote at my local music store for $40. Totally worth every penny.There's even a large pocket on the tote for stashing cables and whatnot.

I wouldn't want to transport a board without protective covering, even if it were just going from my home to my car to the gig and back again.

Remember to make a template of your pedals or lay them out and measure the dimensions. Don't forget to make room for cables, connectors and your power supply.

Spend some time in the Post Your Pedalboard thread for ideas, as well. Lots of helpful pics and info there.

Good luck!:bassist:

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    For this situation, a board with some built in power supply and RF type filters might be the better option. I like the SKB boards alot. All-in-one= easier to deal with in the long run. Just my thought.

20. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    +1, not a bad board at all if you don't have a boatload of pedals. Just put some small rubber feet or something on the bottom so the tolex doesn't get torn up.