1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Pedaltrain Board *Updated*

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Feb 29, 2016.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Still a bit of a work in progress, but the basic layout is done. I think I could squeeze maybe two more narrow pedals on here if the need arises. Also the BDI21 could definitely be upgraded (B7K)

image.

Laklandfan, Milo's, AndyLES and 4 others like this.
  2. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Nice start - and welcome to the rabbit hole that is effects pedals. I never felt a need for pedals of any kind except for a tuner for many years and then early last year I bought my first. I now have about 15, including about 7 or 8 overdrives and 3 different octaves/shifters. Good luck avoiding that trap that most of us here have fallen into. :D ;)

You are correct, using narrow pedals (assuming you mean 1590a enclosures?) would enable you to get a few more onto your board if that's the direction you want to go. Some other ideas for fitting another couple on there would be finding "standard" size pedals, like your compressor and tuner, that have the IN and OUT jacks on the top and also replacing the Monster Cable patch cables you're currently using with something like EBS's flat, right angle patch cables.

But, whether or not you expand or stick with the types of pedals you have on there now, it can be a lot of fun experimenting with different models of the types you already have and seeing how you like the effect on your tone. Like I said earlier, it can be a rabbit hole you'll have a hard time escaping from, but it can also be a lot of fun, too.

:bassist:

3. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I would like to eventually switch out the Monster patches but they were holdovers from an old board. I didn't want to spend the extra cash now, but definitely a good future space saver.

I am fully, head down, into the rabbit hole and there's probably no escape.

srcTW likes this.
  4. Testing123

Testing123 Eschew obfuscation

Jan 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
  5. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    from the look of it, isnt the power brick small enough to go under the board?
    that would leave you with even more space to fill.

6. Testing123

Jan 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Expanding on what @el murdoque suggests, I have a Pedaltrain Metro 20 board with 8 pedals and room for at least 1 more 1590a type pedal:

pedaltrain_metro_20_top_photo-.

The cables I'm using are the EBS flat cables that @dave64o talks about above. They allow the pedals to be fairly close together, although they could be closer if I had staggered their placement (one a little high, the next a little low, etc.).

I've also mounted my power supply (Cioks DC5) under the board. This frees up quite a bit of room. You can't really see it from this top view, so here's a pic of the underbelly of the beast (so to speak :)

pedaltrain_metro_20_bottom_photo1-.

Hope that helps...

7. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Doh! :facepalm:

Yeah, somehow I neglected to mention that the most obvious way to free up more space on top would be to move the power supply underneath. How did I miss that one?! :D Glad you guys followed up on that.

8. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    It is a Metro 20. I tried it underneath, but I couldn't make it fit in a way that wouldn't eliminate half of the power supply jacks. Maybe I bought the wrong power supply.

9. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    You can always try and mount small pedals on larger ones, or power supplies. There's nothing wrong with that, right ?

12523781_1542126162767184_948880101_n.

How many 1590a pedals do you think could fit on that Cali76 ?

10. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    image.
    Which power supply? I have the voodoo labs and it's slim enough to fit right underneath. You can see it right near the blue hippo. Although the top of my board is covered with one spots anyways hahaha.

11. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    My guitarist had the dc brick and it's too thick to fit underneath his board.

12. Testing123

Jan 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    A Voodoo Lab unit will not fit underneath a Metro 20 without a modification of some type, sad to say.

13. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Man, the metro must be very close to the ground. I feel like my board doesn't sit very high and my voodoo slips right in. My pedaltrain even came with the metal brackets to mount it on.

14. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I suppose I should have specified I don't have the metro, I was just saying I have a pedaltrain and the voodoo labs is not a very big power supply and fits nicely under it. If it won't fit then I think you're gonna have a hard time finding one that will because the voodoo labs is by no means a large supply.

15. Testing123

Jan 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    I measure 1 5/16 inches (1.3125") clearance from the floor to the bottom of the rails on my Metro 20.

Yeah, the Nano, Nano +, Mini and Metros are all 'level,' meaning that they do not slope closer to the ground front to back like the rest of the Pedaltrain line does (yours included).

All that said, some have raised their smaller-type Pedaltrain boards be replacing the rather diminutive feet with taller, more beefy versions. There are examples here on TalkBass, or just Google "Pedaltrain feet" to get some ideas.

16. stevensivak

stevensivak Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Testing: Who makes the mute switch?

17. Testing123

Jan 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    The Cioks Adam and DC5 both fit under the small Pedaltrain boards (Nano, Nano+, Mini and Metro boards). And speaking of which, I'd recommend the DC5 over the Adam (1 more output, more mA, better transformer). I believe a T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr. will also fit under the small Pedaltrains, if you mod the output cords by slicing off the bulb nub on the 'L' end of the cord (the end that goes into the power supply.
    Here's a YouTube video showing what I mean. The guy is putting a Fuel Tank Jr under his Nano.
    Start watching at about 0:50 to see what I mean about cutting/slicing off the round nubs on the end of the cords:

Hope that helps...

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  18. Testing123

Jan 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    It was a custom job that Bryan at Saturnworks Pedals did for me.

19. mc900ftj

mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    Nice, OP. Pedaltrain Mini here with a Pedaltrain Volto power supply....small can be beautiful..

IMG_20160220_084710_zpsgs6u6vbe.
    IMG_20160220_084650_zps3ej8vgoa.

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  20. I've had luck using a one-spot adapter and extension and powering 10 pedals without a brick. Are those outputs on yours isolated? Any noisy pedals?

Also, don't be afraid to turn a pedal sideways across the top.

Musicman1901 likes this.