Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First pics of the new Walnut 535!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Sep 7, 2002.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Thanks to all who participated and gave their opinions on the orietation of the walnut top- after much tought, i went with option 2 - here are the first pics of the bass after the body was cut out- i darkened them a little to get an idea of what the walnut would look like finished. The fingerboard is madagascar rosewood , again courtesy of USA Custom Guitars- what im wondering is, is it too much to have this board with the way the walnut is figured? should i use a wenge board
    ( tamer looking, chocolate brown) , or should i stay with the striped rosewood? anyway, here she is..
    [​IMG]

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    and again...
    [​IMG]
    i love this stuff- cant wait to see this one come alive...

3. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    hey man, i say stick with the striped rosewood. It's gonna mesmerize the audience once it's stringed. that paired with the grain of the walnut will make for one spectacular(hypnotizing) bass.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Looks sweet! The rosewood will be darker too when finished, I don't think it'd be too much. Aesthetically, I don't know if wenge would look better, I think birdseye maple would compliment the walnut nicely though. :)

Not that I've ever seen a maple fingerboard on a wenge neck though.

5. i agree with the maple idea, but that rosewood looks cool.
    is it me, or does that board look a little wide for a 5'er? although i never trust 'in-progress' shots.

should look great
    *Si*

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    anything tamer,

IMHO, if there's too much going on with the neck woods, you lose the impact of the cool body figuring.

besides, too much, and it'd look really gaudy.

7. :cool: ...even though I was a big #2-naysayer, i like it better now that its cut out. I'm seeing a certain 'galactic radiance' there that I didn't notice before.

Anyway, I would definitely use the stripey rosewood, I think it will tend to reinforce the theme of those dark rings in the body!

8. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Looks like I am going to enjoy this work in progress! OK I admit, No. 2 is a pleasure to behold.

9. I'd go for a maple fingerboard. The contrast would be stunning.

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    ahh, fellas- maple is not an option on this one- i have maple on the F bass and may have a spalted maple/ birdseye maple F bass made and replace the ash one, but maybe not- at any rate- im using macassar ebony on the Roscoe, maple on the F , and this rosewood or wenge on this 535- but im beginning to really dig the striped rosewood..

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WOW!!!! That's one NICE looking bass in progress!!!!!

12. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Okay now I'm starting to like the #2 option a lot better. I like the rosewood too. Wenge would look too plain. It's gonna be Stunning!

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I LOVE the way the figure sorta make wings, bullseye, U, whatever, but that is hands down the coolest top I have ever seen in my life. Figured maples be damned.

I hate you Adrian Garcia. I will find you. I will have that bass!

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    hey! wait a minurte! that is in violation of forum rules!! youre not supposed to flame me , or say hateful things!!!! wheres a moderator??... oh, you ARE a modertor!! oh, well..;)

15. Adrian,

The bass looks great! That's a great piece of walnut - did you get it from USA Guitars?

I think the rosewood takes away from the body - too much going on without much color contrast (plaids and stripes? :) )

How about a solid jet black ebony board? I love the way it looks on my Sadowsky with the spalted maple top where alot going on with the body is contrasted with the solid fretboard.

Jeff

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    jeff- i got the walnut from California Walnut Designs- the board was from USA Custom Guitars- i hear you about the ebony, but i have this idea of having one of each and rosewood or wenge are the flavors of the day- what i may ask Mike Tobias is if it at all possible to stain the rosewood REALLY dark- bu then it may look like macassar ebony..by the way, the 635 is gone:(- you are now the UNDISPUTED KING OF SPALT!!!:D

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, all I said is that I'll find you, and have that bass. I never said anything else. Maybe I'll come to your house with some money...I'll make you an offer you can't refuse.

:D

18. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    man that bass is gonna be sweet..

Wanna get one made for me to?? I'll even let you finance it :D

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada