1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Post / 5-String Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnnywizzo, Oct 28, 2018.

1. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo

Oct 28, 2018
    Hi, I recently purchased a Rogue LX405 5-string bass. The specs say that if you pull up the volume knob, it cuts out the battery, and allows you to play without a working battery. This does not seem to be the case. If you don't have a working battery in place, you get no sound, regardless of the volume knob being pushed or pulled. Is there any way to fix this so that I'm not totally reliant on the battery? Someone suggested that the bass was designed to have a different type of output jack that takes the battery out of the circuit when the instrument cord is not inserted. Thanks!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!

If it truly is an active/passive bass it should work in passive mode with no battery. There may be a wiring issue.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
  4. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo

Oct 28, 2018
    I know it says that, but it does not work like that. I have seen many reviews on MF that complain about the same thing. I've never owned a bass that required a battery before, and it's rather frustrating to have no sound. I'm just wondering how to fix it. Thank you for the welcome and your reply.

5. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I wonder if the battery has to be in place, dead or not, for the bypass to work?

Bass Man Dan and flojob like this.
  6. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Most stock preamps that offer this feature usually just bypass the preamp but still requires a battery. It’s a wording issue on the manufactures part.

7. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I had a Rogue active bass for a while. I don't like active basses, so I removed the battery. On the bass I had, I believe it was a tone control that you pulled out to bypass it. It worked fine without the battery. It seems they've changed that layout.

rogue.

johnnywizzo likes this.
  8. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo

Oct 28, 2018
    It looks just like my bass. Mine is definately the volume knob that is push-pull, and you get no sound without a battery installed, and no sound with a dead battery regardless of the volume knob position. When you put it in the case, you have to be careful not to push the volume knob down when closing the case, or the battery will soon be dead. I'm experimenting now, as some have thought that the battery will die anyway, regardless of the push-pull position. They seem to think that you need a special type of output jack that disconnects the circuit when the instrument cable is not attached. I like the bass, but I'm not sure what to do at this point. It's no fun to have to replace batteries constantly, or to be totally dependent on them.

9. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    If the bass is not plugged into a cable and you are losing battery life, something is wrong. The push/pull should bypass the preamp, but it is not an on/off switch for the battery.

mapleglo and johnnywizzo like this.
  10. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    If you are past the return period, one option is to just re-wire the bass permanently into passive mode. Mine sounded fine in passive mode. I never liked active basses, though many people do. It's just that I have enough devices that use batteries - IEM's, wireless guitar, etc - I don't need yet another battery to worry about.

johnnywizzo and Bass Man Dan like this.