Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First post... a little help please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jesuslovesyou, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Jesuslovesyou

Jesuslovesyou

Mar 9, 2006
    So my mom has told me she will try to help me get a new bass... ive been playing over a year, by the way.
    Im really into getting a fender...
    I want something with a deep, thick, growl, so i was thinking this:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Electric?sku=515201

But i wanted something with a jazz body, so i was also thinking of this:
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN136760

I know Fender jazzes have a nice growl, and they are great for mids and highs...

Which one would be better?

And just so you all know, i play punk and metal... if thats any help at all

2. personally i'd get the deluxe active jazz, cause i like the jazz body style more.

look at the reggie hamilton standard jazz bass, p+j pickup configuration, and 2 of the sexiest colors on a jazz bass ever. but its $200 more than either of em. but it has the same features as the deluxe active jazz, plus a active/passive switch, and a p pickup in the neck position instead.

3. 127.0.0.1

Feb 21, 2005
    Punk and Metal? Have a look at Music Man SUB also...

All I can say is try them in a store like Guitar Center. Play everything and decide what feels best.

4. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    Welcome to Talkbass! both of those are nice basses! What kind of bass do you have now! and have you played one of these basses your looking into?:bassist: :bassist:

Cirrus 4 Redwood
    Kustom 1200hd
    Ampeg 410hlf

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    welcome to talkbass, love your username !!!!!
    i would go for the jazz bass and make it an ash body. should be very growly

6. Greetings, I don't play punk but I would think the P Special would come closer to the signature punk tones. Plus with the jazz pickup you can have almost the best of both worlds. The jazz neck will make it a little easier to get around on.
    Actually, if didn't own a bass I would seriously consider the P special ( if it plays good). Hopefully you can try them both to see which has a better feel and tone. Good Luck....EW

7. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    My advice is don't set your heart on any particular brand name. As has been said before, go to a guitar store and try out every instrument possible, and bring your amp if you can.

Deep, thick growl can be had out of a lot of different instruments with a plethora of different feels and looks. I have a Fender Precision Lyte from the early 90's and it doesn't sound half as deep and thick and growly as my Lakland.

If you're looking for mega-growl try the Lakland 55-01 or maybe a Warwick if you can get by spending a little more cash.

Fenders are great, it's just that they're not always at the top of the list for deep, thick growl.

8. Jesuslovesyou

Jesuslovesyou

Mar 9, 2006
    Well, right now, I have an epiphone thunderbird limited edition alpine white.

It sounds great, but it just feels too weird for me. Im actually trying to sell it, i just cant find anyone interested.

And, i havent played either one of those basses i want, sadly. On top of that, i cant possibly afford a Music Man or anything like that.

I have however, played a Squier with the p/j pickups together... it was very growly and deep, i loved it... so i figured the Fender version would be way better.

and by punk, i mean, AFI "black sails in the sunset" album type punk, Rise Against, yadda yadda yadda.

9. hmm...well i know one of hunter's basses is a jazz bass, i think he uses a t-bird sometimes too? not sure about that. rise against uses a jazz bass too, could use other ones, but i've seen thier bass player use a j bass.

so i guess a j bass is what your lookin for

also, definately try out a bunch of fenders before you buy them, their quality control is pretty screwed up and you could end up with a dud if you ordered it online.

10. Jesuslovesyou

Jesuslovesyou

Mar 9, 2006
    Well, i guess ill give the jazz a try...

thanks for the help

11. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Welcome to the forum! You throw out a question and get about 50 different opinions. It's great!!

The most important thing is that you play many things before you decide on what to buy. I would suggest that if you currently own an amp you take it with you when yu are trying out basses. This way there will be no surprises when you get the new bass home.

12. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Welcome to the forum! I would go with the Jazz Bass. I must admit I'm more of a Jazz Bass guy. I've been playing mine for over twenty years. What ever your choice, enjoy.

Cheers,
    Jim