Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Post! - Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thunderbroom, May 7, 2002.

1. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

May 7, 2002
    Illinois
    I'm sure this has been asked before, and I'm probably not the only one in this situation. I read through some of the old posts but my question was not adequately answered in the ones that I read.

Here we go...

I just purchased a P-Bass and a Bassman 25. I love both the bass and amp (they're my first). I'm wondering though if I should get a larger amp (wattage-wise). Of all the amps I played, I liked the Bassman series the best. I don't plan on playing out, so extreme volume is not overly important BUT I would like a louder setup. I just purchased this setup (like someone else on this board--name escapes me). I have a grace period whereby I can return it.

Will I get a significant boost in volume in moving up to the "60" for $120 more or the "100" for $250 more? I'm sure there are other amps that folks will recommend, but I'm focused on the Bassman.

Thanks!

Thunderbroom

2. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

May 7, 2002
    Illinois
    I made my first post to this board about 8 hours ago and received no replies. I posted the same message to another board at the same time and have received around 10 responses.

This begs the question regarding ponying up money to become a supporting member. I would definitely consider it if I felt that I was going to get some bang for my buck.

Could it be that no one here has an opinion and/or experience with the Bassman series of amps?

Thanks!

:)

3. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

May 7, 2002
    Illinois
    Josh - Point well made!

I'll see how it goes today.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Thunderboom - I'll second the 'Welcome to Talkbass' that Josh extended!

My thinking on this is that going to the 60 watt version will maybe increase your volume a little, but may do more for the clarity of the lower notes. Getting the 100 watt version will give a noticeable increase in total volume as well as clarity of the lower notes.

Low notes require a lot more power to reproduce than higher trebly notes - the reason that few guitar amps are ever rated at over 100 watts, and bass amps go up to 1,200 or 1,400 or more watts!

I must admit thought, if you've just bought them, and it's a 'bedroom' amp, keep a hold of it until you 'need' more power! Happy bass-playing!

Oh, here's another thought - you could use the search facility in this site to see what other threads have been discussing the Bassman series of amps!

5. Welcome to Talkbass Thunderboom!

I have a Bassman 25 also and I love it. It's a great little amp with many useful features. You seem happy with it so far so why not keep it and start saving to buy another larger amp down the road?

Someday you might start gigging and need a bigger amp and it's always nice to have the big rig at the rehearsal space and a good sounding small amp at home for practice.

6. SubDubMan

SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    hey thunder...
    i have a bassman 100 combo amp, and i love it.
    i got it soon after i started playing bass and now 2 years later i still have it and it still is working great.
    i'd say if you want more power, but your not planning on gigging for awhile, get the bassman 100.
    cause as i see it, it is a great amp, that you could learn with, and then later on if you join/start a band, or whatever, you could use it on gigs too.
    the bassman 100 is a decent little amp that can handle a lot... ive been using it in the same band for almost 2 years now, and it competes well with a very loud drummer, 400w PA, two guitarists (one with a full stack, the other half stack). so, if you have the money, and like the bassman series, i'd say get the 100 just for 'bedroom practice' for now, and you will have reserve power for when you're in a band.

7. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

May 7, 2002
    Illinois
    Do you use your 100 as a monitor when playing?

8. SubDubMan

SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    hmmm.... im excactly sure what you mean by asking if i use it as a monitor.... but i'll tell ya what i do to see if that answers your question.

when we play live i always put my combo amp on top of an old 4x10 bass cab that i have just to elevate it and to project my sound a little more, and to have it more at ear level... therefore i am heard a little better! unfortunatly you the amp can't drive another cab or else i'd do that. but setting it up on a chair/table/crate/or anything
    that you might be able to use (i just use the cab because it serves no other purpose as of right now, and the amp fits nicely on top of it).
    i never go through the PA, except for one show that we played a few weeks ago called Springfest, which was an outdoor show with a few hundred people and the people putting on the show had a nice big PA and a soundman and everything. but in that case where i went through the PA, yeah my amp was kind of an onstage monitor i guess.
    i hope i answered your question somewhat.
    sorry if i didnt! im slow! lol

9. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

May 7, 2002
    Illinois
    You answered it.

I was talking about when (if) you use the PA system, do you position your amp so that you can hear yourself.

The complaint I keep hearing from people in general with 100w (and lower) amps is that they are not loud enough to be heard when playing in a band. Your post tends to debunk that.

10. SubDubMan

SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    well that is true...sometimes.
    i think a lot of different factors come into that.
    first of all, is probably what kind of music the band is going to be playing (volume isnt that much of an issue in jazz music as it is in rock or punk). then, what other kind of equipment the band has (guitarist has combo amp, or tube head/full stack, etc.). ya know, i think it varies. i feel pretty lucky that this amp has served me so well for so long!also, what i do alot to be heard better, and to help cut through better it to boost the low mids.
    that is one thing that always pisses my guitarist off... that i knew how to use eq better than him. by tweaking the eq i could always find a little sweet spot that would help me be heard a little better, yet not be on top (we are bassists after all :D ).
    also if a store will be nice enough to let you take out and amp and practice with a band or on a gig or something that would help you make a descision, but in my area at least, they wont let me do that.