?First Post/First Rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mostpplrnotok, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Hello everyone.
    First post on the forum (after a couple of weeks lurking) and i'm gonna sink my teeth into it straight away... :)

I am soon about to embark upon the purchase of first rig...
    I'm playing hard/experimental sort of rock and using a Tobias Renegade..

Amp wise i've been tossing up between edens wt400 and a trace elliot AH300012. I'm seriously thinking more towards the Trace as I can get it about 400 bux cheaper (and I am on a budget) and plus i've been using a trace combo up untill now and feel my playing has almost evolved around this sound, a sound that i am digging.- any words of wisdom or warning :)?

I have a number of questions regarding cabs...
    I'm thinking of doing the 2x10s+ 1x15
    Are there any distinct advantages/ disadvantages of this sort of rig vs 4x10 (or any other setup)
    Basically with my budget i'm looking to be able to afford one of these cabs to be fairly mid to high end and one to be a little cheaper and maybe more so lower end.
    Keeping in mind i plan on upgrading the lower end box eventually...
    Just wanting some opinions on which of these cabs i should spend the more money on.
    Also what are some more reccomended 15" and 2x10s out there keeping in mind im in aus things are little more expensive/ hard to find...

Cheers Guys..
  2. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am using a 1x15 and 2x10 set up and it definately has its advantages. The only problem is that now I am wishing I had gotten a 4x10 (for the long run) instead of a 2x10.
  3. I use a 4x10 (homemade) and a 1x15 (Yorkville) with an xs800 head.

I like that I can split it up - ie: I use the head and 115 at home, and leave the 4x10 at our jam space. Less ish to be carrying around.
  4. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    4x10 and 1x15 is the classic stack setup, the 4x10 deals with the high and mids and the 1x15 delivers the lows. Btw, fyi trace have now got an entire new product line on the way since their seperation from gibson: http://www.trace-elliot.co.uk/ . If this rig isn't urgent then you may want to wait for the new gear, heck looks alone make me want it. You will notice they have a mini 1x15 and a 2x10 in the new range, two of those together would probably be only 2/3 of the size of the full size 1x15 plus 4x10. However the bigger cabs will probably have a better sound, you're best off trying both and seeing if the extra portability doesn't come at too greater tonal sacrifice. Hopefully the new TE stuff will be on sale well before the end of this year, they had a large booth at the last NAM, pop over to the trace elliot megathread if you need to know about anything trace then they're your people.
  5. I am seriously GAS'ing for one of those compact TE 15" cabs, it would sit nicely on top of my old school TE 1518T, but i read on here somewhere that the new trace gear is very expensive.