First post-gig review of new rig (Dem/QSC/Bergantino)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-freq, Jun 8, 2003.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Got this rig a couple of weeks ago (201S/PLX1602/HT322) and have been chomping at the bit to give it a good live gig shakeout.

The club we played in is probably medium sized (approx. a little over 100 person capacity) with great acoustics.

I have a StingRay 5 that I've played for about 3 years now.

I used the passive input on the preamp and had the SR5's volume and PLX fully cranked (bridged with clip limiter on & filters off) and used the 201S volume control to set the sound level.
    I use the single coil position on the pickup selector 95% of the time and I had some midrange & treble cut and a little bit of bass boost on my bass.
    The 201S was flat w/all the switches out and just a little bit of bass cut (to control boominess--the dem bass control operates at a higher range (60Hz) than the SR5 does (40Hz)).
    I usually play with a fairly light touch (which lets me control emphasis/dynamics a bit more). I started out with the 201S's volume at 12:00 and the sound was very clear, punchy, smooth, with tons of low-end solidity.
    I could hear myself really well in the mix and it sounded so good, the other people in the band kept telling me to turn it up.
    I ended up with the volume at about 1:30 and I never really dug into the strings or stuff would have been falling off shelves at the bar, but when I punched it a little, there was some of that really smooth type compression in the sound you get from a good tube amp.

The lead guitarist and his wife both commented on how good the bass sounded.

I believe that I played better than usual, partly because I could clearly hear what I was playing and partly because I was inspired by the way it sounded.

Yours truly,
    One very happy camper reporting from the Dem/QSC/Berg camp.
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yes very cool indeed.......
    i liked the cabinet when i demo'd it at a store but havent heard one at a gig
    i have an older demeter that i havent dragged out to a gig yet (i should huh?)
  3. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Great review! Thanks for the update. I'll ofer my own review. I am using an Ashdown ABM500 EVO with a Bergantino 322. I have been playing with several different bands and musicians lately. I never fail to get an amazing eye brows raised Exclamation from the guitarists in the bands about my sound. The Bergie 322 seems to stand out from the crowd in a huge way. I am playing a Modulus Graphite Quantum 5 with EMG's, alder body, quilt Maple top and phanolic fingerboard. I get every tone I want from this very sweet combination. The comments I hear are almost always about how fat, rich and full my sound is, while remaining nice, clear and cutting through the mix. I just added a Korg DTR-2000 Rackmount Tuner to my rack and the Rack is cooler than ever too. What a GREAT Tuner. But that's a topic for another thread.
  4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Sounds like you should have a great match of equipment there.

I got to play an ABM500 through an HT310 when I was back at the dealers last Friday. A Q5 w/EMGs should sound really good with it. Running the ABM500 with all the switches out it had a very robust, rich, very warm sound, should be even more so with the 322.
  5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Great review, lo-freq. That sure sounds like a killer rig. I run my 201 with the 1602. I had been using a pair of Bag End D10X-D's and it was inspiring to me. Now I've got a pair of HT112's that seem to just love the power of the 1602 with the 201 on the front end.

Glad to hear that the hiss issues may be a thing of the past.
  6. Jerry, are you bridging your 1602 into the baby Bergs? I've got the 2402 and they seem to really like either parallel or bridged. HT/EX are amazing little boxes...:D
  7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
  8. Nice reviews LO!
    I'm just lovin' my choices of the two Baby Bergs and the 322. A smaller club I just played over the weekend found the two "little Guys", to be the perfect set up for that room. I tried the 322 there before and it was too much.

Last night we played and outside fest under a big tent with excellent sound support. I used the 322 and both 112 in parallel. I had one pro player come up and tell me how great my bass tones were (yeah Dem 201s from the house)Yeah Bergs from the stage.) Although, there was a problem with the outlet I was plugged into. We kept hearing this loud crackling/poppy sound and the sound people finally figured out it was my rig that was plugged into the back outlet. It was really hard to tell because the band kept pushing the show and I had to keep playing until break. I'm really hoping it didn't damage my gear. I'm going to check it out tonight as we have another outsider Sat. It seemed all right, but I thought the highs sort of dropped off making me worry about the horn and crossovers, possibly one of the tubes in the preamp. :bawl:

Anyway, the rig sounded very good and I am still convinced that playing outside is fun but soooooo hard to hear your gear. It took the guitar player two whole sets to find his sweet spot. I don't like lugging all that gear, but it really wasn't to bad since it was all asphalted not lawn to lug stuff over. I did a beach once, that was the worst ever.
  9. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yes, bridged into the baby Bergs. It makes me a bit nervous too so I watch things very closely. I'm sure that it's just fine paired up with that much power.

But I've mainly been running my Fafner into the pair( mini-rig). Holy-Moly do they just sound so sweet and full. I just add some seasoning from the Drive circuit to give it that smoky grit. You've got to hear a Sadowsky V5 through that setup. :bassist: