Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Post, hehe, need advice...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zjarrett, Sep 18, 2000.

1. Zjarrett

Zjarrett

Sep 17, 2000
    Hey, ive been playing for about 8 months now and since some major holidays are coming up, and since i got some money ive been saving i thought hey, why not get a new bass to go with those new amps(GK=goodness)well...this is good and i think ill be able to afford about 1200 MAX so the 3 i was looking at were the ErnieBall/Musicman Stingray, Yamaha RBX760A, Ibanez something or other =P, im looking for a versatile bass since because im under 16 i havent completely chosen a genre of music to pursue and also im not very familiar with what i like yet...that being said i do love funk so something with a decent slap tone would be awesome. of the 3 above which would you recommend for me? and if not any of those do you got a suggestion that isnt fender? thanks in advance guys

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Of those three?

Stingray - no doubt about it!

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Try Finding a Modulus Flea Bass for about $1200.
    I would try getting a 5 string. I think you will be needing that "B" string very soon.
    What kind of music do you like to hear??
    About the basses you mentioned.. I would really pick the Stingray.

4. Zjarrett

Zjarrett

Sep 17, 2000
    umm i like a bunch of music but mostly old school punk like dead kennedys and stuff like red hot chili peppers, victor wooten, bela fleck and the flecktones, larry graham, stanley clark, jaco pastorius, stuff with cool bass lines you know =P...the dead kennedys stuff doesnt really interest me musically so i wanna focus more on a funk sound like so many others. Is modulus the bass flea has been using recently on tours? i saw them play a week ago at shoreline and he had a sparkly blue bass that looked kinda like a fender but wasnt...now if stingray is spoken to be the best choice =)and a five-string is recommended then wouldnt a stingray 5 make sense? lol im still not sure so i guess ill wait for my replies and get some more opinions...OH YEA if anyone wants to suggest good methods for testing out basses and amps id love to know it...something about playing other peoples music to test out a sound really doesnt appeal to me

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    StingRay 5 should be a good bet Or a higher end Ibanez but their necks seem really thin to me. When trying out a bass i tend to play a cover i know by heart & can distinguish things i like & dislike in it, then just play & check for dead spots. Thats all

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    mmmmmmmStingray.

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Conclusion:
    For your music preferences... I would pick the Stingray5.
    And If im too lucky.. the Flea Bass 5.

8. Zjarrett

Zjarrett

Sep 17, 2000
    yup yup its looking good for the stingray5, the modulus flea bass cost bout 2400 it might have been higher and i havent seen them stocked in either of the two local music stores...but thanks for recommending it ive had no clue what he played and its been driving me nuts....hopefully in a month or two ill be thinking about colors and tone settings if all goes well

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Then there are Warwicks, especially good for slapping..
    Dunno about their fivers but atleast Corvette 4 has nice slapfeel on it. You need to try all these basses recommended ofcourse, you might find something special. Ibanez BTBs seem to be worth trying, too. Good fivers, I hear.

And Ifabara, why would he be needing a fiver soon?

10. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey, yeah...I'm kinda curious about that myself.

-GM

11. Flea 4 can be had for around $1200 at Mars; I don't know about the five's price. I think it comes in silver, black, and blue--all metallic sparkle. I tried one and it sounded pretty darn good and has a nice feeling "fast" neck. The graphite neck sounded a bit (just a tiny bit) clinical to my ears but many folks swear by Modulus 5 strings.

12. Zjarrett

Zjarrett

Sep 17, 2000
    im glad someone mentioned the five string thing because honostly i was pretty clueless about it....if anyone can think of a few valid reasons why as my second bass i would need a five string please let me know cause it seems it would just be harder to play....also ill check out the Warwick Corvette, and Ibanez BTB the music store i went to recently didnt have and modulus basses but they had tons of alembic stuff and appearantly stanley clark might make an appearance for a clinic held there!!! its in the bay area just incase any of you are close by hehe

13. timp

timp

Jul 19, 2000
    5 strings are easier to play. You have two full octaves across the strings without moving your hand. For the music you talked about, the Sting Ray 5 rules. After I got my first 5 (Carvin LB-75 that I still have), I gave away my four string.

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    A real bass is a five-string. I wouldn't even call a four-string a bass at all. It's more like a big ukelele.

15. Boy, I love those great 4 string "ukelele" players like Victor Whooten, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, Flea,, James Jamerson, John Entwistle, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, Charles Mingus, Mark Egan, etcetera. PUH-LEASE!!!!

16. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    ZJarret.. for around $1000 you can get a nice Salas Custom 4 :) thats what im getting, and im supposed to be getting by Monday (9/25)!!! wooohooo ill post pictures about my bass.. I've heard many people that tried out the Salas Custom 4 to like it better than the Stingrays :) Here are some specs of Salas that u might like

<LI>Alder Body with Quilt Maple Top
    <LI>Maple Neck, Ebony Fingerboard
    <LI>Seymour Duncan Preamp and 2 Humbuckers(Musicman Style)
    <LI>Black Hardware
    <LI>Not sure what kind of bridge he puts in

but for $1000 (Including hardcase) its a ripper!!!! you might think of trying it :) I can't wait til i get mine.. ill post some pictures of mine after i get it

DM

17. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I don't think 4 strings are ukuleles at all.. look at those 1,2,3 string basses!!!! :D! then if you call a 5 string a bass, what do you call like... Bill Dicken's 9 string? :) Or those Chapman Sticks :)

DM

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Dang! I keep forgetting to put the winky-smiley things on there. ;) :D

19. As many of you know, I always recommend G&L. The L-2000 is very well made and definately one of the most versatile basses on the market. If you need 5 strings, the L-2500 has all the same great features (plus strings through body). After owning over 20 different basses over the years, my G&L's have been my favorites by a landslide. :)

20. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hm right, fourers are like 6-strings in geetars.. Impossible to
    play and suck extremely muchos. The 7-string guitars, on the other hand..

'Can You Feel the Irony Tonight' by Elton John is my favourite song.