First post in ages, need answers quick.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by downstairs, Jul 13, 2005.

1. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Thank God I remembered my password. I have a question, I need an answer by tomorrow morning. What type of sound would an Ampeg 8x6" get me? I have an 8x10" and love it to death, and my peavey 1x15 isn't cutting it anymore when I need to use a smaller cab for little shows. I need answers quick! :bawl:
  2. An 8 six inch speaker cab? From Ampeg? Never heard of this.

Anyways, Id expect it to be really really punchy.

Also, I dont know if this thing sounds all that portable either, maybe try putting a 2x10 or something on top of the 15?

Got a link or something to this 8x6 Ampeg?

Sounds interesting.
  3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    That, and almost no low end. Everyone has their preferences, but I can't imagine playing a low-frequency instrument through 6" speakers. If it sounds good though... do it!
  4. acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    phil jones uses a ton of 5" "woofers" but for this guys question I dont think 8x6" will sound good..
  5. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
  6. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

Well, that is 48 inches of cones ...3x15 will give you 45..
    dunno, that cabinet could be REAL surprising..... in a good way
  7. Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    8x6" will give you around 226 inches squared of surface area, the 3x15 will give you 530 inches squared... Bit of a difference. :)
  8. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    "Im selling off some of Hubbys stuff that He no longer needs or uses or can afford to keep. Here we have an Ampeg Mini SVT Cabinet. This is part of a bass rig hubby used as a rehursal rig for the last 3 years. The rig was never pushed that hard. "

Reading that description, I am not so sure if "Hubby" knows his gear is on the auction block . . .
  9. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Well, although she re-posted it on Ebay I didn't get it. I went to my favorite store up here Atomic Music. I ended up doing a straight trade with this Bullfrog 2x12 that had custom speakers in it (that I got from atomic) for my custom Ampeg 4x10 :bassist:

It's ugly as SIN.

Attached Files:

10. LOL yeah, seriously. it sounds like there's a chance "hubby" will be quite upset with "wifey" once he finds out.
  11. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    Well, I've got a show today in Damascus where I'm gonna use the new ampeg :-D wish me luck.
  12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Umm... my girlfriend's knowledge of things technical isn't too bad, but she's still likely to mistake my 4x10 for a 4x12 or a 4x8. Are we SURE this is an 8x6?
  13. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I think it's probably an 8x8.. Sounds like 'wifey' doesn't know much in her discription.

Honestly, how does she know if they've been pushed or not?
  14. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I believe that is the Ampeg 806HE.It has eight 6.5 inch drivers.I remember seeing them around 1997 in the Ampeg catalog with Rex from Pantera standing in front of one.I think they had it paired with a V4BH.