First Post! Lakland 55-01 at MF

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by roswell1965, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Hello all,

I just saw this bass for the first time at the MF site... Anyone here familiar with it and care to comment on quality, playability, ETC?? I need a new bass BAD!!!!!

Also, a real dumb question... does anyone string a 5 with a high C instead of a low B?

Thanks, Mark
  2. Hey welcome to the site...

What address was the pic at? post the address so i can see this fine instrument your talking about...

Also, depending on your choosing, you can buy a 5-sting either low B or high C, but low B's are more popular, i think..

all the best... :)
  3. I am hoping to find something in the < $700 range... The Conklin looks nice too, for the same price I can get the fretless version. Thanks.
  4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Do a search. You will find many threads about these.

And welcome to TB!
  5. Hey Roswell1965,
    Welcome aboard. I recently visited Bass Central in Orlando, FL. and played a 55-01. My advice to you would be, go for it! It's a great bass and the price is unbelievable. I'm not a 5-string player, but I know a good B string when I hear and feel one and this was it! I know several people on the board own one, and I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you more.
  6. Thanks Pilot... I was born and raised in Rochester - Penfield actually.
  7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Well Roswell, I'm from Irondequoit for the past 11 years, before that from NYC.

Has anyone seen Laklands at Guitar Center? They are the same company as MF, aren't they? I have yet to see one at the local GC. Or in any store, for that matter.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

3 of the Guitar Centers in Dallas/Fort Worth have USA Laklands. I haven't seen a Skyline yet.
  9. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The board generally give the Lakland Skyline
    series the thumbs up.

Also lauded is the MTD Kingston/Heir line,
    which is slightly cheaper...
  10. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I picked up a 55-01 about 3 weeks ago... It's a great bass, and you would do well if thats what you choose... I can't say enought good things about mine!

welcome to TB!
  11. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i played a 55-02 a few weeks ago, thought it was a very nice bass. maple board, sunburst, etc.

the sound wasn't really my bag, and i have a bitch of a time with 35" scale...but for the price i don't think you can do better.