1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First post, pics, and a question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by maybass77, Apr 25, 2006.

1. maybass77

maybass77 swm

Feb 26, 2006
    southeast michigan
    This is my first post and i'd like to start off by saying that there's a lot of talent in here. I've been going through some "in progress" pictures and i'm very impressed. Sccond, i'd like some positive/negative feedback on some of my completed past projects. Third, i had a question about shaping the heel of a singlecut bass. I've seen in progress pictures of certain builders and it looks to me like they're using a router. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    welcome to TB!

i think they are very nice, but the second one, IMO, could use some more contouring around the butt end. it looks a little flat to my tastes. looks like you've got a lot of talent. i'd really like to see more from you :) !

3. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    First off, welcome! There's all kinds of talent in here. :p I'm just trying to learn to keep up!
    I'm in the process of making a singlecut bass right now, and I did NOT use a router to carve the heel, although I'm sure that you could. I just used a palm gouge, a chisel, and cabinet scrapers......those cabinet scrapers are really fun to use, too. AND a lot of finger sanding.

Your two basses look fantastic there. You seem to be well on your way. I'm looking forward to doing a double-cut bass after this one.

4. maybass77

maybass77 swm

Feb 26, 2006
    southeast michigan
    Looks like i'll be needing a large helping of elbow grease as well. Thanks for the kind words. I have a lot of learning to do and i thanks everyone here for that.

5. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Welcome!:bassist:

6. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Here's a (bad) pic of what my neck/heel carve turned out like...

7. Welcome. They both look great. My only criticism is the hardware. The basses are beautiful but the hardware looks a smidge cheap and really doesn't do your work justice.

8. maybass77, i like the second one the best :)

The first one reminds me of a carl thompson with that upper horn.

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Carl Thompson-meets-Jens Ritter-meets-Thumb waswhat I thought, as well :smug:
    However, I prefer the first one.
    The second one imo needs a rounder cavity-side butt-end, and a longer upper horn for better balance. It looks like it only reaches the 14th fret.
    Anyway, they look very well made!

10. maybass77

maybass77 swm

Feb 26, 2006
    southeast michigan
    Well, as for the hardware, it's actually gotoh and hipshot stuff that i would consider to be of decent quality but does look cheap in the pictures. And i was waiting for someone to mention Carl Thompson...an obvious influence.

11. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    The bridges/pickups look quality to me, but try out some wooden knobs!

12. Thonk

Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    UK
    Both look like very nice,but didnt i see the bass on the right change hands on the forsale forum here at talkbass about 6 months or so ago?(i remember it because i was thinking about buying it)as i recall the seller hand no idea about who made the bass and didnt have much luck tracking down the builder

do you still have this bass(in this case i must be totally wrong about it) or did you sell it on? i also agree with JSPguitars wooden knobs will improve the over all look it did for my Sei bass and i thought before i got them that could'nt look any nicer!

13. maybass77

maybass77 swm

Feb 26, 2006
    southeast michigan
    The last time i spoke with the guy that bought it, he said he had sold it to some guy in Japan. That's all i know

14. dooft11

dooft11

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    hi man, this is an old thread, but hi, maybass, i think i did own the 2nd bass post from a while, and i converted that into a narrow spacing 6, which is now in state again with a happy new home
    DSC01310.
    DSC01311.

15. dooft11

dooft11

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    forget about that mock up play ramp....i know that sucks

16. maybass77

maybass77 swm

Feb 26, 2006
    southeast michigan
    wow, that's where it went!!!