1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Post!! -- Recording with a Ampeg new V4B -- suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RollCats, Nov 19, 2018.

1. RollCats

RollCats

Nov 19, 2018
    Hi All!!

First post but been lurking for a while. I'll say that the reviews and posts on here convinced me to get a V4B-ri, with the 2x12-AV cab. It is an amazing sounding rig. I think one (prof) review I read said it has a bit of a learning curve, and I am learning that myself when it comes to matching tones between individual practice, duo with drums, rehearsal full band, and live with a PA. I have time to play around with that, but only a few weeks until we go into the studio to record an EP.

So my question to TBers is this -- how many of you all have recorded with this setup? Or at least with the new V4B. My basic question is, since the DI is post-master, but but pre-Power Tube section, how have you all utilized mixing the gain and master to get a good sounding DI sound, and what type of mic setup do you recommend? (i.e, what are some good gain staging and mic setups to get the DI and mic'ed cab both sounding great?)

FYI: I am an intermediate-level player, I am playing through a MIM Fender 70s Jazz Bass. I like to get girthy, warm, and throaty tube sound when I dig in, but clean tube sound when I play soft. Don't want that purely overdriven grit/dirty tone.

Right now my plan is to get the gain to where the pre-amp tube is throaty and slightly compressed (1-2 o'clock), then turning up the master enough so I get just a little tube breakup (9-10 Oclock), but dunno if this will be too loud for studio. I know this is different than when I am rehearsing with the group, which I do the recommended 'wide open' setup -- master dimed, gain at about 10'oclock. Bass at 1 or 2 oclock. Sounds amazing. (Still need to figure out best overall settings when I am DIing to a PA too...)

OK, so I know this has been lengthy, but I wanted to provide alot of information to preempt some questions I would expect.

TLDR -- I have a Fender '70s Jazz Bass', Ampeg V4b-ri and matching 2X12-av -- how do get a warm, thick and just slightly throaty/grindy tone in the studio?? Thanks!!

2. RollCats

RollCats

Nov 19, 2018
    If anyone has any tips on playing live with FOH support as well, Im happy to hear what everyones experiences are with this rig. Or just stop by to say hey -- its my first post!

3. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    I had a 70s v4b with no master and just used the EQ to get s tone I liked. For recording a DI probably an I colored pure DI is best so you can reamp or add effects later. For micing you should setup the amp the way you do with your band. I’m assuming this is an originals project. I never changed how I was running my amps just because we were recording. My svt is wide open and use the gain for volume, EQ to taste.

RollCats likes this.
  4. RollCats

RollCats

Nov 19, 2018
    Thanks @CRich0205 -- I am still figuring out live situations as well with the v4B -- do you mic your cab when you play live (assuming an SVT plus cab)? I've been using DI only on the V4B (just 3 shows so far), and haven't been super impressed with the sound in FOH. Thanks.

Edit-- yes this is an originals project. I want to capture my own 'unique' tone, without causing our engineer too much headache.

5. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    I’ve had it both ways. My preference is to be miced but I’ve had some sound guys want a DI. I also have a VTDI I will use to keep that Ampeg flavor. If you use any distortion or fuzz it seems to be easier to get a mic. The DI can sound pretty harsh without a speaker to smooth everything. The cab impacts your tone in a big way.

RollCats likes this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Use whatever sounds best for you. Don’t overlook the option of mic’ing the cab and using the preamp DI out when recording. The contribution of the power amp and speakers is important.

The master is a preamp attenuator. I prefert open up the master all the way and use the gain to set the level.

Here are some general recording tips. There could be phase issues between the DI and the mic. When recording, this can be fixed in the DAW. Live is more of a problem, a delay may be needed to adjust the phase. Radial makes one.

Tips, Tricks, and Modifications | TalkBass.com

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    RollCats likes this.
  7. RollCats

RollCats

Nov 19, 2018
    Thanks @beans-on-toast, that is a really helpful diagram and explanation. I like to know as much as I can about that stuff so that I can work with the recording engineer collaboratively, instead of saying (I dunnoo whatever you think). So trying to do some research beforehand. Thanks!

beans-on-toast likes this.