Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First post!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by unharmed, May 29, 2003.

1. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Hey guys,

My TB membership just arrived so I thought I would celebrate the occasion with my first post :D

I have taken the first step in my long-suppressed (10 years) desire to learn bass.
    I have equipped myself with an instrument (pic attached) and am now in search of a teacher. I am located in Melbourne, Australia and am seeking the guidance of the TB crowd. I am a rank beginner on the bass although not to music (3 years of piano then 7 of tenor saxophone). I am interested in the more funky/jazzy styles but am really just after a solid grounding at this point. Apologies for the longish post but thanks in advance for any pointers anybody has.

Thanks again

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Welcome to TB, unharmed!

I see you've gone straight for the supporting membership. Good choice! ;)

I'm into the funky/jazzy side of things myself - what bass players do you particularly like?

3. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Hey Moley,

Thanks for the response. Moleman is one of my favourite characters BTW. Along with Ralph Wiggum, the professor and Cletus. Anyhoo, I've been checking out the big names (Jaco, Wooten et al) that I hadn't heard of before i started browsing here :rolleyes: and like what I hear. I've been a fan of Flea's playing for ages and also Dana Carvey from Morphine (I like listening to his work but am not particularly keen to emulate it). I love the sound of Sting on fretless, also. In fact pretty much anybody on fretless :D
    What actually inspired me to finally get off my butt and learn though was a guy who played with Shaun Colvin at one of the Lillith Fair concerts. My wife has the DVD and I really want to be able to play like him. Don't know his name though.

Thanks again.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, I'm a fretless man myself. Jaco is my favourite. If you're looking for Jaco recordings, I'd suggest his self-titled debut album, also "Word Of Mouth", Weather Report's "Heavy Weather", and Joni Mitchell's "Hejira".

Four fantastic albums, with some of the finest bass playing I've ever heard.

5. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I always forget the professor's name :p . Thanks for the guidance on the Jaco recordings...bit bewildered by the choice with his stuff...only have individual tracks at the moment. Will shell out for a couple of albums when payday comes around:rolleyes:

Thanks again

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hey man, if you're a fretless fan, you should check out Pino Pallindrino... hmmm his last name is probably doesn't look anything like that... but he's a monster. I think he's primarily a session player, but he has IMO the greatest fretless tone around. :bassist:

7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    So your from Melbourne Eh?
    WELCOME? Where abouts are you stationed?

Anyway nice to see another guy from this neck of the woods around here! BTW nice bass. my mate has one. I really like those inlays :D.

-Kirbo

8. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Hey kirbywrx,

Thanks, mate. I think it looks pretty sweet. Sounds nice too :D . I'm in St Kilda. How about yourself? Any pointers for teachers?

Thanks again

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Palladino.

10. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im in croydon, the outter eastern suburbs, which is near Ringwood (Ringworm :D ) As for teachers, the only guys i know of are out around this area, but ill do some asking around for you and see what i can find :)