First practice on the DB! Thanks Violins, etc..

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Hookus, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    So, I was in Violins, etc in Austin this week, and rented a DB from them. I'm a EB player for going on 18 years, and had been thinking about making a switch. Since my desire to be playing in a super loud rock band has sort of subsided, I find myself wanting to really simple things up, and focus on my musicianship, this seemed like a logical choice.

This thing is a beast. I only thought that I had tough hands. The sides of my plucking fingers are completely thrashed this morning, albeit in a good way. I have had to go back to practicing with a metronome all week to even out my plucking on this, and it has been a humbling experience. Very much a different instrument. Lessons are definitely in order, I think I will have to at least sit down with someone once or twice to make sure I am on the right track, technique-wise, but other than that, things went well.

Mark- thanks for getting me set up, you may be seeing me back in there to purchase this thing, we will see how it goes! Thanks for the great service in Violins, etc..., I anyone finds themselves in Austin, do yourself a favor and stop by there.

2. shadygrove

shadygrove

Feb 14, 2008
    Marysville, WA
    Welcome to the dark side, Hookus!

Sounds like your off to a good start with a bass to play and you're wise to get a few lessons. Don't worry, the sore fingers will toughen up and so will all the new muscles you didn't realize you had. I've been a DB player for about a year and a half now and in that time I can count the times I've pulled my ABG out of the closet on one hand... hope you also get a lot of enjoyment out of these very addictive and rewarding instruments.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021