Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First practice with Church choir last night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan Hassing, Apr 10, 2002.

1. Hi: A while back I posted the question on this board whether anyone played in a Christian band. Well, last night I had my first practice with one of the choirs in my Church. Wow! Trial by fire it was. Although everyone welcomed me, I was taken aback by the sight-reading I had to do on the spot. The charts handed me included guitar scores that thankfully had chord symbols, but there were also some voice and keyboard scores in treble clef without any chord symbols. My sight-reading is "so-so", but I've got four days until I have to play with the choir at mass. So, I think I can get the root-motion of all these pieces down by then. The music isn't particularly difficult, but I think my sight-reading skills will improve dramatically by playing in Church. Afterwards, the members of the choir invited me to a nearby restaurant for a bite to eat, so I guess I made the grade. I thought those here who suggested I'd enjoy playing in a religious setting might like to hear this first-timer's experience in the Church choir.

Bryan

2. Great job Bryan.

Just keep practicing, and with hard work and effort you will do fine !

3. Hey Bryan, what church are you playing at? Maybe I can get overthere sometime.

4. Hi Drummer Dude: I'm at St. Therese Catholic Church in Deephaven. That's just off of Minnetonka Blvd. about four miles west of I494. I have to admit I'm a bit anxious about playing at mass this weekend. I've got four days to learn 16 songs. I'm glad I have some music-reading ability though. Now it's a matter of learning the chord progressions and song forms (where's that blasted Coda!). I see a couple songs also have key changes part way through too just to keep me on my toes. I got some photocopies of the music, and have ordered the huge compilation of music our group uses. I'm having it shipped "Next Day" as some of the photocopies provided are a bit tough to read. This is all a good kind of "nervous" though as the fruits of applying myself might mean I won't look like too much of a hack. Whether or not I sound like a hack, I'll attempt to play with G.F Handel's mindset: "Every note for the Glory of God".

Bryan

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Bryan, once you get settled in, you will do fine.

There's just something more satisfying about using your talents to glorify God than just playing in a pub.

6. Thanks embellisher: Yeah, I'm glad I was accepted by a group in Church instead of continuing to look for another bar band. In my previous post about playing in a religious band, someone said it's nice that it's rare someone says "Hey, man you SUCK!" when playing in Church. LOL. Everyone was really gracious last night despite the fact my head was swimming with chords with alternate bass notes, suspended chords, finding Codas (with 20 sheets of paper falling off the music stand), etc. I expect I'll be much more comfortable with a few days practice. I'm looking forward to hearing the whole choir in addition to my bass this weekend.

Bryan

7. Don't worry, Bryan. Rest assured, one of us TalkBassers will stop by to yell "Freebird!" at inopportune times.

-Neil

"Hmm...we'll be singing the hymn "In the Garden of Eden," by a Mr. I. Ron Butterly."

8. LOL. I'll keep an ear out for that as well as "play some SKYNARD, MAN!"

Bryan

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Watch out for those cigarette lighters!