first practice

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dirk, Jun 17, 2000.

1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I still consider myself a newbie bassist. The other day, I went a played with these guys who've been playing for about as long as I have. So, we're playing some stuff, without a drummer, who's drumset still hasn't come in. He's just sitting there listening and I ask him, don't you have a bucket or something to keep tempo with. So he goes outside and gets five gallon bucket. The next song we decide to play is Enter Sandman by Metallica. We kick up and four bars into the song he starts wailing away at this bucket. The funniest thing I've ever heard or seen. I standing there with my face buried in the music because I didn't know the whole song yet. One guitar is struggling to keep up. The other one that knows the song really well is jumping around like a madman, and this guy is wailing away at the bucket. All this too without a lead singer. It's a work in progress, but it's my first band project thing, so I'm willing to stick around and see where it goes.
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    [​IMG] Dirk, That gives a new meaning to improvising. I remember playing all night when I started with two buddies of mine. None of the three of us knew more than G,C and D. After more than twenty years, we were still playing together. I suspect that there are a lot of gnarly old musicians who would love to be where you are now. Be the best that you can be but don't ever be so serious that the fun goes away. May you enjoy music as much as I have and as long as I have.

3. Tim_Tool

Apr 29, 2000
    Cleveland Ohio
    My first practice was the day after i bought my first bass. my guitar player friend had been playing for a few months so he knew how to play some green day stuff. He was trying to play Basked Case and i just sat there hitting open notes. It was fun, but it must have sounded terrible. Since then we got a drummer, but after taht we broke up. Im in another band now, but im getting pissed cause everyone else is starting to take it way to seriously and im starting to not have fun anymore...

So fvck!ng what!!!

4. My first band practice wasn't that bad.. hehe we just don't know how many times to play the certain parts of songs hehe we would listen to the song like 5 times tryin to get the number of times down then try to play it and we would just mess up and laugh about it =) I just know where to come in b/c of the drums but my guitarist doesn't know when to =P oh well.. we came up with a 3 chord song and I was just goin crazy with it and playin variations of it all over the fretboard and my drummer got mad b/c he doesn't think he can add enough stuff to the song =P but I think he's feelin better about it now =)

5. beautyandthebass

Jun 16, 2000
    My first practice with my current band went almost too well. We wrote six songs, found a great rehearsal room, and received very promising fortune cookie fortunes. The next practice, my amp shorted out, and guitarist's MIDI wasn't working. THen we decided to scrap all the songs we wrote during the first practice! Oh well, you win some, you lose some.

"Make a scene tonight, and read about it in the morning"-Peter Cetera

anarchy sex + love
  6. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    @ our first practice we made one song & learned a few covers......that was like 6months ago....we're still together & getting ready for our biggest gig.
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My very first practice of my very first band...that was so long ago, I'm having to dig deep down to remember. Oh, yeah. It would have to be the music school I went to in South America which was very loosely based on Musician's Institute of Technology in L.A. You know, GIT, BIT, KIT and DIT. Do they still exist? Anyhoo, my school was like that and when we were in our fourth guarter, students were placed together in "bands" according to their ability and musical preferences. I was placed with two guitarists, a drummer,a singer and a keyboardist and our mission was to learn two Metallica covers.

Well, Metallica with a keyboard? It can be done. Our biggest challenge that first practice at the school was that the practice drums were the most basic drumkit, the crash cymbol was broken, the lead guitarist's distortion pedal was a mess, his cable was shot, the teacher showed up late and left early and the keyboard had no amp so we couldn't hear it when we played. The vocalists's mic amp was staticy and had no real volume. What a frustrating scene! But our lead guitarist was way cool. He was so good. He could play the guitar behind his back like Zack Wylde and he was really into the music. He was the one, more than anyone, who kept us going so that we could put on a respectable concert at the end of the quarter. We lost our keyboard player after that concert, but the rest of us enjoyed each other so much that we stayed together as a band for nearly another year.

Jason Oldsted
  8. Col_Forbin

Aug 14, 2000
    i'veee been playing for ten years, and my first practice with my first band was 9 years ago...we were up in my brother's room and the personell was 3 guitarists, 2 bassists, and a drummer (nobody could sing yet)...altho at the time of the first practice it was only 2 guitarists, one of which wasn't there....
    anyway, i don't remember actually getting through a song that night but I did manage to perfect the walk i planned on taking onto the stage of my very first gig *LOL* this also included the clothes i would wear at that time...
    the only thing we did play that night was a 1-4-5 thing in (big surprise) A...with my father playing guitar (or what he referred to later on as "yakkity throwup chuck berry" LOL he was a bass player as well)...
    that band managed to stay together almost a full year...
    we played one gig and then broke up 2 weeks afterward...
    at that time we had 3 singers, 3 guitarists, 2 bassists, and 2 drummers...and the handful of us that actually DID play went and formed another band...
    that band eventually became a trio and we've gotten back together recently to record a CD on the guitarist's label which hopefully will be out later this year!
  9. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    It was a long time ago, but I remember one of our first practices, as the one when the fuses kept blowing and we finally had to play "unplugged". Hey, I think WE were the ones to start something....:)
  10. myfirst band was a group of me and two other guy that all bought guitars around the same time and we found this stupid kid with a drum set to be our drummer and our first practice we all knew nothing but green day songs and after a while it finnaly came together and it was cool so we stay together and jumped around and made more noise than we though humanly possible
  11. Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    My first band, terrible. Super f'n fun in teh beginning. First practice we had a ball. Becca on vocals, damn she could sing (matched Gwen Stefani). John on guitars, pretty good. He was playing an upside down right hand guitar since he was a left. And Ashley on drums. John and Becca dated let me through this out now cause it is important. Well practices rocked. We all joked around. Played what we could then we figured out a Lunachicks song to cover. Playe dthat all nive and good. Then we wrote riffs for two songs. Very upbeat and punky. It went on like that. Covered Offspring, Incubus the sort. We even switched around instruments. I got on drums, Ahsley got on guitar, John go ton bass (he could lay down a good groove, better then me.) Becca remained vocals. We all wrote a song like that Then we kinda switched again except this time Becca was one drums and I was singing. We covered "Stellar" by Incubus this way (I am not the greatest singer but I did pretty darn well.) Any it was fun.. I would wear seguine dresses for our practices. I was in search of a nice baby blue sequined dress for our open rehearsal. Well my personal life at the time was dropping. Getting very depressed. Becca and John would have there fights and John would back up Becca on every decision she made even when I know he wanted to do something I did. I wanted to play some heavy songs but Becca wanted to keep it up beat. Too happy.. Just way too happy for me.. So I totally lost it and just stop showing up. Now I am in teh process of scouting a new band for me when I graduate in two years. (My guitarist lives two hours away :( ) Anyway me an dmy friend are practcially identical. I am having trouble with my musical ear but I write better riffs then I can hear or learn off tab. I seriously need to improve... But anyway.. That's my story for my old punk band Gelastic... Whatever that means....