First Practice!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by keithconn, May 14, 2002.

1. Hey everyone -

I need some advice if anyone has some. I am getting ready for my first practice with a group of guys looking to start playing again. All of them have years of experience on their instrument - EXCEPT ME! I am 29, and started playing about 7months ago.
    I played the drums in the past(10years), so its not like I've never been in a band situation before, but this will be the first time on bass!
    They picked about 6 songs to learn and play. I am able to get a handle on most of them, and some of the others Ive tried to dumb down a bit so that I can play them without much trouble. There really is very little pressure, except for the heaps of it I put on myself!

Besides 'stay clam', 'have fun', 'don't drink', 'smile', 'stick to what you know' etc ... is there any other advice a vet-bassist could pass on that a newbie would not know?

I'm just scared because beyond these 6 songs is all dark to me ... really dark, and scary!:eek:

Well - Thanks in advance ...

Later -
  2. Kiethconn, the first time I played in a garage band I had the same fears. I was the one putting all the pressure on myself; don't you do that to yourself. If you know the six songs that should get you through. I've never been in a working band that made $, but, what I've learned from the few little bands I've been in is that personality clashes probably destroy more bands than lack of proficiency on an instrument. Just try to have fun. Beware of dictators. ;)

Good luck.
    Mike J.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Get there in time to be set up on time.

Check all your gear the night before to make sure everything is in ship shape and that you have packed every cable/cord you need with spares if possible.

Batteries, strings, whatever you think you might need to keep going. Treat it just like a show.

There is NOTHING that is more frustrating that standing around waiting on someone. It is a big-time turn off when you meet someone.

Basically, show the highest respect for the other people's time and committment.

For every person I have seen kicked out of a band for poor skills, I have seen 10 booted for a lack of the things mentioned above.
  4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

1) Listen. Focus on what the other players are doing as well as you. Focus on the song and not just your part. Developing good listening skills is the single most important aspect of musicianship. It takes a long time to develop, but it is really worth the effort.

2) It's rehearsal, not practice. This means you focus on what the band needs. Don't practice scales while the guitarists is talking to the drummer. (See 1)

3) Learn parts. If you don't understand what is going on in a section, stop and review it with the other band members. Don't just plow through it.

4) Take some chances. This is the time to make mistakes, as long as you remember rules 1 & 2.

5) The mistakes you often repeat in rehearsal will happen on stage. (But you get better at recovering!!)

6) Groove. Play a part over and over until the band gets an understanding of how the section works on its own and with the other parts of the song.

7) Respect yourself and your fellow musicians. Rehearsal can be a difficult time as you and others practice understanding, internalizing, and executing a song. Be patient with yourself and others.

8) Have some one-on-one rehearsals with the drummer. This will help you listen and understand each other. The relationship with your drummer is very important to your role as a bass player. This is also a fun time to try some new stuff. Sometimes just listening to some stuff together can be really important to fostering new ideas.