1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Practice?!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by LedBelli Bass, Mar 21, 2010.

1. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Fine, Handmade Custom Bass Guitars

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    Phone call: "Hey, we need a bassist, so-and-so recommended you. Will you come practice with us this Sunday?"

Sure . . .

So today I go. And here's what I walked into thinking I was going to a first practice:

First "practice" was a live 3 hour performance to a biker/gangbanger summit meeting/kegger.

Try that going in blind sometime. That's pressure . . . :bassist:

The whole time I'm thinkin, "The cops have this place staked out, a raid is imminent, and we're all going to jail!"

But leaving wasn't exactly optional, know what I mean?

Also, learned after arriving that the drummer got "trapped" also! Me and the drummer had never played with each other, or the guitar player and the vocalist, ever before!

(P.S., yes . . . we played "Born to be Wild"!)

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Well you're here writing this, so I assume you were not hung and then tattooed. lol

3. LedBelli Bass

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    Made it out alive! The "band" leader called me today . . . I politely declined further participation!

4. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    Let me guess....you played "Freebird" for your encore.

5. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    How much did they pay you? I think that's the crucial question here.

6. whitespike

whitespike

Nov 28, 2007
    Austin, TX
    You got duped into playing a free show.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

Well, all's well that ends well eh? :)

8. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    </thread>

Sorry man, that really blows. My question is was it obvious to you what you were getting into before you got out of the car? Probably shoulda just kept on drivin'...

9. LOL! This may have been a sticky situation for you...

... but my dad and his buds are allgood-hearted family guys... but also bikers/harley mechanics... whenever my friends first see 'em... they get super intimidated like that :eek:

Old-timers just wants to hears some blues's

10. LedBelli Bass

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    No Freebird . . . the guitarist didn't know it . . . can you believe that?! Nor did he know SHA; in fact, he did not know any Skynyrd.

11. LedBelli Bass

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    It wasn't immediately obvious . . . there were only about half a dozen partiers there when we plugged in.

I don't think anyone got paid, I'm 99% certain. I had the distinct impression that the guy who called me (the leader/vocalist) owed them something, probably for drugs . . .

12. Fetusyolk

Fetusyolk

Aug 7, 2008
    that's a brilliant trap. surprised you guys didn't walk though... what's up with that?

13. Atnum

Atnum

Jan 14, 2010
    So you didnt get paid... well at least you got a great story to tell your friends, family, etc.

14. Oh god!! That's a nightmare.

If I knew some of the songs I would go through with just to have a story. I think I'd have a blast if I knew I was getting laughed at.

If I didn't know the songs I would take the walk.

15. LedBelli Bass

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    A) I actually wanted to jam with this vocalist, so this was the chance either way; + B) The "gang" (partiers) seemed to be enjoying it; + C) All the free beer I could drink/want; + D) I just felt that playing might be less hassle than the hassle I might be hassled with if I walked. These were real bikers and real gangbangers, not babyboomer bikers and prepube gangers. :help:

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020