First Project Bass!!!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 29, 2005.

1. First off, hello to all of you on the Luthier's Forum!

I'm taking the dive into what will hopefully be a prodcutive part-time career for myself. I've always loved working with wood, and sclupting something out of nothing, it's what I think watching a child grow-up would be like. I add that to my love of bass, and voila, hopefully success...

..Well, you've got to crawl before you walk, and in my case, that means that I'll be getting my parts "pre-fabbed" for me. I'll be purchasing a "Dinky P Body" (Koa with dark walnut top?) and a wenge/ebony neck (blank paddle head?) with 6115 stainless frets and graphite nut from Warmoth, unless I can find a better place. pickups will be Bartolini P/J's with active/passive Bartolini 4.6 (a/p) preamp. Bridge will be ABM, tuners are Gotoh GB7s (angled back ala Warwick) from knobs maybe from Sadowsky (black with selector line) All hardware is black.

Now, I have ZERO experience working on and building guitars. The only thing I've done, is take my brother guitar apart one night, because I was bored, and wasn't about to open up my bass! I'd like your opinions/suggestions/words of wisdom/etc, etc. on what I should know I'm getting myself into.

Thanks, and sorry if this has been beaten and done to death!

2. Sounds pretty, but I'm also thinking it might be a bit neck heavy. You've got 4 of the heavy hitters when it comes to dense woods there. Ebony, Koa, Walnut, and Wenge are a combination I haven't seen together before and if played at night, probably wouldn't be seen again they're so dark. :D Got anything in there to highlight or accent the body lines?
  3. I think Ive started to sway myself onto the idea of a swamp ash body with the koa top, flamed if I could find it!

I'm still sold on the Wenge/Ebony, but am pondering a full Wenge neck... I just don't want to be too warwick-esque with this bass, just slightly, lol.

Another thing I'm beginning to think of, is cost of production for the wood, I'm not sure if all the money would be worth it in the end!

Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative to Wenge/Ebony, or Wenge/Wenge?

Cost Cutting,
  4. Cocobolo and purpleheart are alternative woods that aren't so expensive... I've never heard a bass with cocobolo in the neck though. Darn pretty fretboards though... I love the color variation in a nice chunk of cocobolo. I don't know if you could get the same sort of growl that wenge gets from them though...
  5. Monk

Jun 15, 2004
    Ryan, where do you intend to get your woods. This could have a major effect on the price. If you're getting them online (such as the 'made for luthier' sites) the price could be pretty jacked up: $135 for a 20"x20"x.25" piece of wood! If you're getting them from a local lumber place, be prepared to get, say, 12 feet more than you need, unless the place cuts the wood for you (which my local place doesn't).

Good luck with the project man!
  6. Well, seeing as I have no luthiering tools, or not much experience, I plan on getting my body and neck prefabbed from Warmoth (can you say, overpriced?) so I'm prepared to spend half of the budget on wood.

Hopefully in the future I can get everything locally and cut stuff myself. This project it to basically teach myself how everything goes together, and works as a whole. I know what part goes where, but I don't know how to assemble everything, I figure I betetr learn how to put a bass together before I go all out and make myself a body.

7. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    there's a reason it's not used in necks. not because it's not strong, but because it's really hard to work with and really really hard to glue. it's got oils in it that are a B**** to adhere to.

don't let that stop you from using it in the fretboard area though. I looks a million bucks, and wont cost you much more than twenty
  8. Right now, this is the new plan for my woods...

*Swamp Ash body, Bubinga(Koa?) top.
    *Wenge neck, Wenge fingerboard.

The current project looks like this...

*Bubinga over Swamp Ash Dinky P Body.
    *Wenge on Wenge Warmoth Neck.
    *21 Stainless Steel 6115 "Jumbo" frets.
    *ABM bridge. (black)
    *Gotoh GB7 Tuning Machines. (black)
    *Graphite Nut.
    *DR Black Beautie Strings (EADG)
    *Bartolini Precision/Jazz(Humbucker?) Pickups.
    *Bartolini 4.6 active/passive EQ/Pre, w/ mid selector. (250/500)
    *18v power supply.

That's what I've got mapped out, all brand new, so it'll cost alot, and take awhile to "git-r-done."

I'm currently stuck on knob choise, I may go Sadowsky with the selector line, or something like the Cirrus knobs.

Tell me what you think of the projected parts, I would greatly appreciate it!

9. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    With a capital "B"... nice.

10. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    Nice :cool:

aint it the truth though