first real amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pesticle, Sep 4, 2002.

1. I am getting a new amp really soon because my band is finally done with our music and now we are now going to start gigging medium sized places soon. i used to play in 2 other bands.. they were great and all it just wasnt for me (i just wasn't having alot of fun in one and the other isnt serious at all) but the newest one is like a dream come true for me. i used to be able to go through the pa but this new band doesnt have one... we are poor high schoolers. i want something simple.. head and cab or a combo (a 3-5 band eq would be best) as far as tone wise i want one of those grindey gritty mean aggressive tones. i want like 200-400 (more is always welcome if its in my price range) watts... any brand as long as it will be reliable. keep the price under $1,000 and if your suggesting a head setup.. ill be playing a 4x10 and if its a combo.. most likely a 2x10 will be added to it (unless its already a 4x10)

so i want:

200+ watts
    under a grand
    simple (3-5 bander)
    grindey tone

thanks so much to anyone who just simply reads what i type as i ramble on and on :p:eek:
  2. slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Go used!

Many amps are available to you at that price point. SVT's, Edens, Mesa's!

Shop around. Do your homework. Be patient. I looked for a few months.

Wait for a local seller (somewhere your poor-highschool-punk-ass is willing to drive) or hit Ebay and find a local seller with great feedback.

It is pretty hard to get burnt on local sales. Check out every teeny, tiny detail. Bring a friend with. Try it out until you as totally satisfied.

I picked my amp (Mesa 400+ $850) up for 500 dollars less than the I would payed new.
  3. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Maybe a used Mesa 400+ or SVT paired with an Avatar 4x10?? Sounds good to me,, check Ebay!!!
  4. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Used to meet your budget.

Grindy tone: Mesa or Ampeg tube head

Speakers: whatever you like, but an Ampeg 4-10 or 8-10 is always a safe call for a grindy rock tone.