Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First REAL Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by halfpassed, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Just got my first :D real :D bass, a Roscoe SKB 3005 from Jay at Blueberry Hill Bass, and I just had to tell everyone, that this is the best bass I have ever played. Cocobolo top (gorgeous!!), Barts, 3 band pre, and speaks like the voice of God himself. Also, Jay is the coolest guy for answering my million questions, and having the best prices for Roscoes on top of that. Check it out here: Roscoe SKB3005. It's the last one, at the very bottom. Anyway, had to tell someone.

2. BuffaloBob4343

BuffaloBob4343 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    She sure is purdy! I love the matching headstock.

How does she play and sound??

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    WOW! Totally beautiful. Welcome to the HAPPY Roscoe owner's club. :) ...and yeah, Jay's VERY cool.

4. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Halfpassed,

I have to say that I'm in love with your bass. Yes, I am. I have a soft spot for maple boards, and that one is super!

I hope you don't mind if I just sit here and stare at her for a little bit. She's very pretty.

Congrats,
    Joe

5. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Actually, it's spalted purpleheart. I had an SKB-3005 with a board like that and it was superb. My current LG has a half and half board, and I think it looks pretty cool, too. The sapwood has a very distinct and unique grain.

6. Ethon

Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    That fretboard is SICK. Really nice looking natural grain on the top too, especially the light vein running up the middle.

Good score man, and I hope many grooves are laid down with your new tool of destruction.

7. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Ohmygod Vics, you're right! If only I read the bullets. Duh! Thanks for setting me straight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a pretty nice site; but, they don't have one MTD on it! :meh:

Joe

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    LOL, you crack me up... :D

9. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    That's got to be one of my favorite basses from Blueberry Hill. What a top wood!

10. Can I ask what your deffinition of a "Real" bass is? Because you'd be one lucky man if you went from a Squier to that beauty.

Your new bass gets one of these:
    [​IMG]

11. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    What is a "Real Bass"? Hmmm, that's a good question. Maybe it should get its own thread.

I'm going to say that a "Real Bass" is one that makes your eyes pop out of your head and your fingers itch to play it. I was going to say that it's a handmade bass that makes your eyes pop out of your head and your fingers itch to play it; but, that's only true for some bassists. I know a great deal of bassists love factory made basses. For me, it's a handmade bass.

Joe

12. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    Beautiful bass there, dude. Love the coco bolo. Reminds me of my Alembic Dragon's Wing. Congrats!

Alan

13. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    can I ask how much you paid for that little beauty? Mine doesn't look nearly that good (I'm getting a lighter wood bass but I like them looks of darker woods) and it cost me over a grand (my second bass after my squier, so compared to that it costs alot!).

Great find, I have heard good things about these.

Greg

14. Actually, I went from a kinda beat up Tobias Renegade 5 to the Roscoe, so it wasn't that much of a step. It was the first bass a bought brand new, that I could choose options on, didn't have to settle for anything about it, etc, so that's what I mean by REAL bass

15. I paid $2250 for it from Jay at Blueberry Hill, and that's about $1500 off list, too. Jay is my new hero.