Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First "real" bassline

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DeepCalls2Deep, Dec 28, 2005.

1. DeepCalls2Deep

DeepCalls2Deep

Jun 25, 2005
    East Texas
    Tonight was kinda cool for me. I actually wrote my own bassline for a song that I will be performing.

It seems kind of sad that I have been playing 3 years, and I play multiple times every week, and yet this is my first line to make on my own. However.. there is a story behind that.

I am a self taught, never had a lesson kind of guy. I play mainly praise and worship music (contemporary pop feel) or alt rock with the band I am in. Being that I am self taught, and that the music I play is relatively straight-forward, I have always taken an "early Adam Clayton" approach. That being, keep it simple : play root notes, a few slides, octaves, and passing tones. And I have become quite proficient at it. Dang good even :)

Tonight was different. My vocalist (band leader/songwriter)looked up during a song we are practicing, and says .. "I don't like that. Can you do something else? " Now, this guy writes all the music basically, and is pretty particular about what he wants played. Being that we are great friends, I let it go, and just enjoy playing. So when he asked me to come up with something, I was slightly shocked at first, but then was like.. "Ok cool... " . So, me and one of the guitarists (our main producer guy) start noodling around. He is playing a hook line over the rythym during the verse, and he quickly gives me a few ideas of what to play over it. I took his ideas, and morphed them into a counter hook that sounded sweet, and fit the 6/8 time perfectly.

Needless to say I was stoked, and quite giddy afterwards :)
    Man, I love music.

2. DeepCalls2Deep

DeepCalls2Deep

Jun 25, 2005
    East Texas
    You played 3 years, and just now made your own bassline?

Geez, take lessons or something.

3. DeepCalls2Deep

DeepCalls2Deep

Jun 25, 2005
    East Texas
    I know... i know....

I suck :(

4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Haha, I had the same kind of thing. I was self taught and just learnt a lot of songs, meaning I was quite technically proficient, but knew no theory and didn't really feel too confident in my abilities. Was only really when I got lessons specifically for theory then went to music college and started getting into proper bands that I realised it was a hell of a lot more rewarding to be standing up there playing something that I'd written.

So yeah, awesome times :)