1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First "real" bassline

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DeepCalls2Deep, Dec 28, 2005.

1. DeepCalls2Deep

DeepCalls2Deep

Jun 25, 2005
    East Texas
    Tonight was kinda cool for me. I actually wrote my own bassline for a song that I will be performing.

It seems kind of sad that I have been playing 3 years, and I play multiple times every week, and yet this is my first line to make on my own. However.. there is a story behind that.

I am a self taught, never had a lesson kind of guy. I play mainly praise and worship music (contemporary pop feel) or alt rock with the band I am in. Being that I am self taught, and that the music I play is relatively straight-forward, I have always taken an "early Adam Clayton" approach. That being, keep it simple : play root notes, a few slides, octaves, and passing tones. And I have become quite proficient at it. Dang good even :)

Tonight was different. My vocalist (band leader/songwriter)looked up during a song we are practicing, and says .. "I don't like that. Can you do something else? " Now, this guy writes all the music basically, and is pretty particular about what he wants played. Being that we are great friends, I let it go, and just enjoy playing. So when he asked me to come up with something, I was slightly shocked at first, but then was like.. "Ok cool... " . So, me and one of the guitarists (our main producer guy) start noodling around. He is playing a hook line over the rythym during the verse, and he quickly gives me a few ideas of what to play over it. I took his ideas, and morphed them into a counter hook that sounded sweet, and fit the 6/8 time perfectly.

Needless to say I was stoked, and quite giddy afterwards :)
    Man, I love music.

2. DeepCalls2Deep

DeepCalls2Deep

Jun 25, 2005
    East Texas
    You played 3 years, and just now made your own bassline?

Geez, take lessons or something.

3. DeepCalls2Deep

DeepCalls2Deep

Jun 25, 2005
    East Texas
    I know... i know....

I suck :(

4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Haha, I had the same kind of thing. I was self taught and just learnt a lot of songs, meaning I was quite technically proficient, but knew no theory and didn't really feel too confident in my abilities. Was only really when I got lessons specifically for theory then went to music college and started getting into proper bands that I realised it was a hell of a lot more rewarding to be standing up there playing something that I'd written.

So yeah, awesome times :)