first real freeze, and my furnace quits.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Last year it was the limit swithches for the combustion chamber, now the motor went out. Though I must say, for being 25 years old, that blower motor did amazing. I just hope my little electric radiator heaters can keep up. I am used to having this problem at tenants homes, but not my own. I sure am glad I know how to fix this stuff though.

One winter, we had our fridge go out, and we used a plastic barrel and snow to keep our food. They couldn't get our fridge to us until a couple of days later, but thankfully there was plenty of snow on the ground. It was cool. (Ha ha ha, cool. Get it?)

Anyone have an interesting story about losing an appliance, and making due? Like cooking everything with a propane torch when the stove went out? (<== sounds like a redneck joke to me... :rolleyes: )
  2. No stories from me, as yet, but I'll let you know as soon as anything happens.

Sorry to hear you're freezing. :p
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    During the wintertime, we have lots of small student happenings at rentable sauna lounges. Naturally these happenings involve beer, but usually the fridges are too small or don't exist at all. So a trashbucket or similar quickly finds it's contents emptied and instead filled of snow and beer bottles. Just have to remember to throw the melting snow outside and refill once in a while :smug:
  4. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    I had a similar problem at my house in Long Island. We ended up replacing the furnace, repainting one deck, restaining another, rebuilding another, reshingling the roof, replacing the oil tanks and replacing numerous broken things within the house itself. The reduction in price was well worth the repairs though.
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, dropped in the new motor, and it is cranking the heat. I love it!
  6. The ignitor (instead of a spark, it's got a ceramic element that heats up and ignites the gas) on mine goes out every year or so. In fact it just went out last night. Hope the local store is open on a Saturday morning.

I guess I better buy a spare...last time it went out on New Years Eve. :eek:

Good thing I'm handy at fixing appliances.

And no, I don't touch the element with my fingers when I install it.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I know I have to replace mine soon but it's been a trooper so far. My furnace [oil] is 45 years old and is the original furnace that was built with the house. Only problem I had so far was sludge clogging the filter causing the furnace to shut down but that's it so far.
  8. That's not redneck, that's boyscout!!

Don't mind the char, that can be scraped off. And if you put enough ketchup on it, you don't taste the propane!!:D

Rock on