First real gig... Oh god.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Well in about a week we will performing at a little shindig near my school. Its like a mock battle of the bands. We are only playing one song but I am still ready to crap my pants. I am not good in front of crowds. I had no idea it was so soon. We don't even know what song were playing yet. I'm nervous already. Any tips?

EDIT: We just had try outs today and we kicked butt. I'm about 90% sure we made it but I won't know for sure until Thursday. Also learned we will play 5 songs. YIKES!
  2. Just do it. The only way to get better at doing it is to do it. By the third or fourth gig, you'll feel old skool. Not much help for the first, I know, sorry... but good luck.
  3. Inhale slowly through your nose, and exhale just as slowly.

Usually before a gig, if this helps, I tend not to eat or drink anything. The meal after a show usually is satisfying no matter what it is, giving me something to look forward to.

Lastly... have fun, and good luck.
  4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hehe, this is gonna be me in a few weeks/months - Battle of the Bands and Band Night.

Just have fun, you'll want to remember it later on...and if you screw up, just keep going; the audience probably doesnt know that its wrong :D
  5. Remember that deep down inside most of the audience wishes that they were on stage instead. Be proud to be up there playing and whatever happens DON"T STOP PLAYING!
    One song will be over before you know it and you'll wish you were doing ten more. It only gets easier every time.
  6. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Hey I remember someone saying "every one who's watching you there would love to be in your position." I don't know how but this might help.
    Besides they are just like you,they want to have fun,you want to have fun,so have FUN! :bassist:
    Oh and another option may be to think everyone is naked :D
  7. yeah...

tips ive learned: dont try and pull any "moves" on your first gig-these look really cheezy if there done half-heartedly... especially if the rest of the group isn't doing them... I learned the hard way... lol... tapping your toes or stomping your foot is a safe move... just try and be relaxed...

Make sure to do the whole tuck in the cord bit... this is where instead of running the cord directly to the jack, you put it through your strap from behind and then put it in the jack... so standing on your cord and pulling it out wont be a problem...

also, try to keep your hands warm before you go on... it seems silly now, but basically before every gig my hands get cold... dont know if its cause im nervous or what... but it can dramatically effect your playing...

I would go with the not eating of anything, especially for your first gig... also, might want to make sure you go to the bathroom before you get on... that becomes rather annoying if your bladder decides you have to go right once you get up there....

the having fun bit is actually key... if you dont remember anything else, this is what you want to shoot for... also, dont try to be extremely serious... i mean, i dont know what kind of music your playing... but in what i play, looking/smiling at the other members of the band is a great thing to do... sometimes it makes the experiance much more enjoyable... especially if one is a chick... lol just kidding... but you catch my drift...

well anyway... i wish you good luck... if i think of anything else ill come back... hehe
  8. I don't know about the naked thing. I tried that at my first show when I was about 16 and the first person I caught eye contact with was my high school principal. I never looked at him the same again.
  9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
  10. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Oh boy,so unlucky of you.When I was writing that i was thinking "what if your parents are there too or the girl of your life?" and high school principal....oh man..... :bawl:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

See if you can watch some live clips of your favorite bands and see how their bassist's deliver the goods live.
  12. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Do you play with a pick? Then have several in easy reach. If your fingertips are too dry, rub them on your forehead or hair. If they're too greasy, rub them on your shirt. You're not playing alone, you're playing WITH your band mates, so don't forget to work with them the same way you do in rehearsal. If the crowd makes you nervous, pretend they're all watching the drummer and ignoring you. (It's really true, anyway!) Buckethead has been known to play offstage, but please don't be like him! And like the pice of advice said, DON'T STOP!

Good luck - you're gonna have a great time!
  13. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    You'll be fine. I had a lot of fun playing that stuff when I was in high school. We got to be a regular fixture at school functions. Don't worry, your friends will cheer you on, people you don't know will think you're cool, and chicks will totally dig you.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    First off, invest in some Depends.

15. Nice list!

Again to echo most everybody- don't stop playing. If you mess up, don't make a face, don't worry about it- you probably will make a mistake- get over it.

Be like Barry Sanders, act like you've been there before.

Good luck!

16. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

My first real gig was a battle of the bands at my school too... I guess the only thing you can do is know your part inside out, so that when you get up there, you can concentrate on your performance, and you've got one less thing to worry about!

Once you get up there and start rawking out, you'll forget about stage fright and everything else, and it pretty much becomes automatic

...just make sure your wang isn't showing, that can kill a performance pretty quick :ninja:
  17. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Wear sunglasses. This will isolate you from the frightening crowd. :cool: :bassist:
  18. Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    I once did a Solo act at a local bar as a guitarist-singer and I had a case of the nerves before I went on. So I drank some Pepto Bismal before I left home and it seemed to help.

I do not work for or represent the Pepto company in any way shape or form.

If you do crap your pants it should keep it good and solid not that runny stuff.
  19. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    My first gig was in 8th grade, some dumb concert that my band and a couple others put on. Although I have terrible nerves and can't stand talking and such in front of a group of people, for some reason I don't have too much of a problem playing bass in front of a crowd. I'm sure you'll feel the butterflies right before you go on, but after the first few chords, I'm sure you'll be fine. Just remember to stay cool and feel the music. There's nothing better than seeing a band that is really getting into the music they play. Most importantly have fun!
  20. Hah. I love Zeppelin but JPJ ... shall i say...not the master of the moves. Except near the end of dazed and confused on the DVD. Hes just going nuts. Krist novoselic though has some good moves.

haha. good advice.

a little joke....

Man I love to wear my depends to parties. I go there and I'm drinking for hours and hours and I never have to go to the bathroom because I can just go in my pants. One time one of my friends asked me if I ever go to the bathroom. I say "Eh... Depends"