1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

first real gig tonight

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Mixmasta J, May 12, 2006.

1. Mixmasta J

Mixmasta J

Dec 4, 2004
    I have my first real gig tonight, and I am nervous

well I have been jamming with some guys, nothing formal just some 4-5 hour jam sessions on chord progressions. It sounds good, but is a little shakey. I think it was overall a pretty solid experience.

well last night I was asked to play a little gig at a local coffee shop, and I gladly accepted. When I asked what we will play, they said "the blues", so I am kinda going into this cold. We have jammed many times, so I know how they play inside and out, and certain cues to move on, but tonight will be all "alright we'll jam in these chords", and then off we go.

I am kinda nervous, because I have never played in this kinda situation without "prepared" music (sheet music that as been practiced a million times). Im hoping that Ill be able to manage haha

Ill fill you guys in on the details when I get home tonight.....wish me luck!

2. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Hey man a few months ago was my first real gig 40 cover tunes with jams and 2 guitars in front of over 300 people on st pats day. If you know the basic chords and if they are blues they are pretty standard your safe...i really think blues give you freedom for your first gig and gives you a simple chord structure to work off of. Ask the guys to write out or go over some of the tunes and write out the chords on a cheat sheet. Stay simple and lay back a bit watch them and listen to to your drummer for changes...thats it ...just have fun and let it flow man....i wish it was me again it was such a rush the first time and for that fact every time i have palyed since....enjoy!

3. good luck and have fun.