1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First real rehearsal

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Dexteroth, Jan 17, 2008.

1. So here's the deal.
    I'm 18 years old and I've been playing for about 2,5 years now. I've been jamming with a real close friend (guitarist) every once and a while but we've never found a drummer to form a real band.
    Today we found one but he's 37 years old and has been playing drums since he was 9.
    Right now I'm equally excited to really be able to jam but I'm also nervous because his skill level is miles above mine.
    Anyone else ever been in this kind of situation, got any tips?

2. Don't sweat it bro. With a seasoned veteran like him, I'm sure having you around will remind him of his younger days, and that makes him happy to be jamming with the youth. Just give him respect and be willing to take cues from him. You'll learn tons of stuff by being around him. Ask him to show you some drum beats, it'll do wonders for your playing.

3. Sorta... I just joined/reformed a band which has a wide range of ages, 19-48. I was a little leery to join up with some of the younger guys at first. We jammed for the first time with our new line up last night and it was clear that the age thing is gonna be largely irrelevant.

I think you will find that you can learn a ton from someone with a lot of playing time so it's time to do your sponge impression and soak up everything you can from his years of experience.

4. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    When I was 19 I was invited to join a local band made up of "40 somethings" as their bass player had to leave due to his wife's pregnancy. :) I said "giddyap!" and found it was an awesome learning experience for me, and a lot of fun.

I think they did lose patience to be honest, because after about six months or so they got their old bass player back, but I don't think it was all about my playing ability - I was a typical 19 year old: more interested in chasing girls, drinking beer, etc. than learning the songs on my own time. I'd show up at band practice and learn the songs then, and would still have to watch the guitar player's left hand on stage in almost every song. I'd also drink 5-6 beers in the run of a night while gigging, so not only did I know know the changes, I'm sure my timing was pretty sloppy. Looking back, I'm surprised they put up with me as long as they did.

Now that I'm a few months shy of 38 and only chasing one girl around (my wife!), I'm much better - 2-3 beers per gig at the max, and I always learn songs before band practice, and definitely before a gig!! :)

So yes, go and play with him, learn as much as you can, but also remember he's not there to waste his time, and may not put up with some typical-18-year-old behavior that you may be completely unaware of. Hopefully you're much more mature than I was at 19! :)

5. My girlfriend says that y'all make very poor role-models for me :rolleyes: lol

6. Just got home and it was awesome.
    He's a great drummer with good rythm and I feel I learned alot and that my playing is improving vastly.
    I never realised that a bass tone in a full band can be so different from a solo bass tone.

I'm glad I did it!

7. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    That's awesome!

8. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    It is ALWAYS better to play with musicians who are better than you.

9. Yes, definately play with people that are better you, otherwise ou will lose interest......very quickly

10. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    just don't call him "pops" :)

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021