1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Recording--go Dean!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 4, 2001.

1. I did my first real recording last night--and it sounded great! I just went direct into my friend's Fostex digital mixer, which fed his computer (running Cakewalk 9) via S/PDIF, using the bridge pickup on my Dean 5-string (alder body, EMG-HZ pickups, EMG preamp). It sounded rich and supple, even though the bridge PU has a bad solder joint and as a result is a single-coil. My friend found the noise floor to be -52 dB, which is pretty damn good for a single-coil. A little bit of multiband limiting made the already HUGE sound even bigger, since he could boost the bass considerably as a result.

I'll have an MP3 posted by Wednesday. I've re-thought my part a bit (I also made a couple errors since I could barely hear myself) and my friend needs to do the final mix, but it should sound really good. Woo!

2. I think this should be in Miscellaneous. hehe but good stuff man!

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The Dean does not have a EMG Preamp.
    The fact that the pickup had a bad solder joint does not make it a single coil, since the other coil would act as a hum-cancelling dummy coil.