Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

first recording session coming up!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by snapple, Jan 13, 2004.

1. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    (first of all, i'd like to state that i didn't know where to put this, i was also thinking general instruction and technique but thought i might get more luck here)

Ok, I've got my first recording session coming up - if it counts as I'm only being paid in beer :D

It's a three song demo in the genre of folk blues. Only problem is, what the heck is folk blues?

I need suggestions on artists i should listen to and stuff i should work on. I don't think that I need to read for this recording, but i can handle typical eighth note progessions if it is. I know my 12 bar blues but I don't think these songs follow that pattern. The chords for one of the songs is something like A, F#, C :confused:

As for recordings to listen to, I've searched for mp3's under folk blues and come up with only bluegrass stuff... is that right? Any suggestions or tips you can give me is much appreciated.

2. May I ask why you're recording something that you have relatively little or no background in?? It just seemed a little odd to me that you're recording what you call "Folk Blues" but have no idea what they are...

3. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    I find the best way to get to know different styles is to jump right in and submerge yourself in the genre. To learn about jazz I joined my highschool jazz band. To learn about classical I joined the concert band. For metal, i joined a metal band. Same thing for funk. This doesn't just go for music, like for example if you want to learn japanese - go live in Japan for a couple months. You will have to learn the language, the slang, and the culture that goes along with it. I'm merely looking for advice to prepare, i.e. get the basics down.

4. Well, I don't really know if anything I've played would be considered "Folk Blues," but I have played "standard" blues stuff (B.B. King and Eric Clapton type stuff). As far as the "basics" for playing bass lines to this type of music, blues is stylistically very similar to Jazz. And you know as well as I do, having played Jazz music, that everything is pretty much based of of walking up and down whatever key the song happens to be in IME. But like I said, I'm not sure if I've played would be considered "Folk Blues," so it might seem like I'm completely off my rocker. Hope I helped you out at least somewhat.

5. Drinking beer while doing session work is a sure way to blow the session, stay sober, you won't regret it!

Flolk Blues, look at artists like..

Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry.

Lead Belly

Robert Johnson

Blind Boy Fuller.....

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Hey thanks! And the beer is not to be had until after the session, but thanks for checking up on it! ;)