1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Refinishing Squier P-bass Project Questions?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Funkflats11, May 11, 2010.

1. Funkflats11

Funkflats11

Aug 30, 2009
    NJ
    Hello,
    I have been planning on refinishing my Squier Affinity P-bass using Guitar Reranch products as my first project. I have several questions though. I looked though several posts and the forum, but if anyone can provide more precise answers I would be very grateful. Also anyone have opinions on Guitar Reranch products especially if they refinished their bass with them.

1) How many coats did you use?
    2) Did you use their white primer or go store bought?
    3) Which is used more often on fender bodiesÂ’ gloss or satin finish?
    4) Lastly, how does one refinish the headstock? Do I just sand, primer, repaint, and finish? Can I use the same products and process as I do on the body?

Thank you
    But also, offtopic -> anyone put a warmoth pickguard on 2004 Squier P-bass body (it is an alder body?) from what I have read every year is different, just want to check if any got it to fit.

2. 1.)Never used reranch
    2.) just use a quality store bought around 6$ a can , dont cheap out on the primer.
    3.) Gloss
    4.) headstock basically same method as body but with a logo applied

Warmoth guards are direct fits for classic vibe squiers and mexican fenders , not sure about affinitys

3. Funkflats11

Funkflats11

Aug 30, 2009
    NJ
    Thanks,

The logos is applied after the primer and paint, but before the finish:help:. Pretty excited to try this:hyper:

4. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Will you strip the old finish or just overspray the present finish? The number of coats will depend on the preperation. The basic choice of paints is usually Acryllic lacquer or Nitrocellous Lacquer. Both are good finishes. Most of the finishes will be clear coated. 99% will probably be a high gloss finish. Headstock can be natural or color to match the body. If you buy from local stores, avoid getting Acryllic Enamel paint, it really is not suitable for a nice guitar finish. Have you read ReRanch 101? It is a good primer on how to paint guitars?

5. Funkflats11

Funkflats11

Aug 30, 2009
    NJ
    I was planning stripping the old finish (Probably try to sand it down). This post was for more precise any advice that I couldn't get researching or the Reranch advice page. Though I see the site has a forum as well, which I gonna check out.

6. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX

The prepping of the body is going to be the first step in the refinishing. You can use a heat gun/scraper method to get the color coat off and sealer off the body down to bare wood. If you are going with an opaque finish you can stop at the sealer coat, block sand it smooth, and apply a primer until covered. Block sand the primer smooth up to 400 grit. Now you are ready for the color coats.

1. Primer coats used= until evenly covered
    Color coats used= until evenly covered
    Clear coats used= usually 12 coats using the "Rules of Three"
    then letting cure for usually 30 days before wetsanding and polishing.
    2. You can use an acrylic lacquer primer found at auto parts store or ReRanch nitro primer.
    3. Usually it is a gloss finish.
    4. If you are painting the headstock to match= use the same procedure as the body

Wonder thru the forum for all kinds of advise. I have used ReRanch products with great success, currently doing a Surf Green Pbass with their products. If you are wanting vintage Fender colors, they are one of the only ones around for nitro colors in spray bombs. http://reranch.com/reranch/index.php?sid=b3fc3859224f4613ab97afc6a0c1450f

Tutorials.......http://www.reranch.com/basics.htm

7. Bevo1995

Bevo1995

Nov 8, 2009
    Heart o' Texas
    Unless the original finish is in really rough shape you can just scuff sand it and spray your color coat. Lacquers are said to need a month or more to cure before sanding and polishing. Catalyzed urethane takes less than a week to cure. Urethane can be mixed in any conceiveable color but you may be lmited to popular car colors with lacquer.