First Rehearsal. Help!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cambass, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Next week I've got my first ever rehearsal/audition and to be honest I'm crapping myself with worry. First off, I should mention that I've never played with any other musician, for the last 2 years or so I've just been practising in my room. To make things more worrysome, my mate who I'm going with (he plays guitar) said the guys have done gigs, are experienced and even have their own mini studio setup in their house. All of which makes me even more nervous.

Part of me says go for it, I'll get valuable experience whatever the outcome, another part of me just worries about what they are expecting and whether I've got it or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just do it! If you know the songs, then you'll be fine.

The nerves will be there, just don't let them get in the way of having fun.
  3. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Just do it! You have to start somewhere. And then next time around you will have played with others. There's no reason to hide anything, just be yourself and honest. Your ability is what matters and they may be on the same level as you so it could work out. If they are much more experienced then it will be a good learning session for you. Either way its a positive thing to do. Have fun!
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Go for it!
    man you have played 2 years!! that´s lots of experience... playing with other musicians is almost the 50% of bass playing fun (IMHO)...

ask them if they know how to play a cover song that you know... you will feel great after that...

well i have played for a year and a half and now i´m in two bands...

also sometimes the band you are rehearsing for the first time knows how you feel and usually try to ease things for you... by the third rehearsal you are almost family! :D and no stress is there.
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Your first instinct was right on...even IF you don't get the gig you'll come out of it with a lot more experience than you went in with.
    Just be as prepared as you possibly can. You'll be just fine.....go for it!
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

They're letting you rehearse/audition sight unseen, aren't they? Their poop can't be that hot to consider themselves in a league above you.

It's like trying to start a good relationship - just lay your cards on the table, here's what I do and how I do it, what you see/hear is what you get and I can only get better.

About the practicing in your room thing - that doesn't disqualify you as a deserving musician automatically. In my own experience, when I left the business world to get back into it, I had been playing by myself for years when I came home from the office. When I got back into the scene, people were like, "Where the hell have you been hiding?!?!"

Truth be known, the competition for bass openings isn't all that competitive until you get to the top rungs of the ladder. It's not uncommon to hook up with much more experienced, hotshot guitarists/vocalists/etc because they're usually a dime a dozen. I was just at a couple of music stores today, and I can safely say almost half of the bulletin board ads were looking for bassists.

YOU GO GIRL!!!
  7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    yeah! playing alone in your bedroom doesn´t mean that you are less talented that the other bassist tha plays in a band... i love to play alone... nobody tells me what to play, and i can stop and change tunes at will, practice new things without any shame, new techniques, etc...

of course you need to play with pother musicians because you learn another things... specially playing with drummers, changes of tempos, syncronicity, improvisatíon, etc...

please tell us how it went!
    good luck!
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Relax. It'll really be fun. It's a cool experience to play music with other people and hear your part in it all. Enjoy.
  9. Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    don't get nervous with guys who played some gigs !
    I've seen one bass player once , he has played for 5000 people but when I saw him in a club he just sucked !! he borrowed a trace elliot of 1000 watts
    and he was blown away by it and started to pay more attention to the trace then to tho other players . THAT is a bad basspayer , I think !
    so what i'm try'ng to say here : it's all relative !!

don't worry and relax , you have 2 years of experience .
  10. agree with the above, great tips.

relax, know the parts, have fun.

they have giged before, well i have seen a lot of crappy bands. :D

don't worry about showing off just play what is needed, and be a nice person.

you may not be what they are looking for but if you seem easy to work with you may get called back, good luck :)
  11. Well I picked up my mate from town (a guitarist) and we drove all the way out to this guys house. I was expecting this to be a full on audition, we'd stand there and they'd say "show us what you got" sort of thing and play a few songs. Well it was only the one guy who has a drummer and singer/guitarist but they weren't there.

So for the next few hours we sat around talking and my mate and the other guy (also a guitarist) played Oasis tunes and some that he'd recorded (quite impressive). I was told beforehand that there would be a bass amp but there wasn't one. So I sat there clutching my bass hoping to get some playtime. Alas it never came.

Overall I'd say it was a bit of an anticlimax, here I was getting worried about it when it turned out that I needn't do that. It was interesting though, the guy was a full on songwriter and it was interesting to see it from that perspective. Oh well.

BTW thanks for the replies, it did ease my tension :)