1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First rehearsal with Chromes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sanderic, Mar 5, 2013.

1. sanderic

sanderic

Jun 3, 2011
    After years of Rotosound 66 SS, I bought a set of Chromes (45) for my American Standard Precision. Absolutely loved them at home, but tonight was the first rehearsal, and they were wonderful, warm, fat, loud, and powerful, and didn't lose that much top end, just the abrasiveness. I'll still keep the Rotos on my American Standard Jazz ( because I like that abrasiveness at times), but I was wondering, have any of you switched from Rotosound 66 to Chromes on a 4001? I'm sure thinking about it, I'd just like to hear your experience.

2. vbchaos

vbchaos

Sep 5, 2011
    Groningen, The Netherlands
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Did the switch (rotosound 66 to chromes) on my ibanez605. Liked the chromes, tried to fit them into the bandsound, but eventually failed after a couple of weeks and 3 gigs.
    Still got them and use them on my home bass.

I switched from the chromes to rotosound55

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I am not a D'Addario fan at all so the answer is no to Chromes but I have gone from Rotosound 66's to other brands of flats on my Rics. I currently have LaBella's, TI's and Rotosound 77's on three different Rics. Love all three of them for different reasons. I am not one to try to talk some one out of a string they like...but if you get a chance to compare the Chromes to other flats.... I would.

4. vbchaos

vbchaos

Sep 5, 2011
    Groningen, The Netherlands
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    What was your idea of the rotosound77s??

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I loved Chromes in my room, but on gigs and in rehearsals the E string would just get lost in the mix. I always preferred TIs in those regards.

6. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2005
    C470, CO
    I put Chromes on my 4004 and TI's on my 4001.
    I felt that the Chromes killed it in the classic rock band I play in as they gave a big fat sound with lots of thump.
    I thought that the TI's also sounded just as good but that flabby E string takes a bit of getting use to.