Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First rehearsal with my new Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Feb 27, 2006.

1. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I finally had a chance to use my new Lakland Joe Osborne in a full band setting. All I can say is, wow. The lows were so full, nice punchy mids, and clear but tame highs. I have to say that I love this bass. I played around with some different settings, using the neck pickup solo'd on some old Hendrix stuff to get a throaty fat tone. Then I rolled off the tone a bit to get some serious thump for some motown tunes that we're working on. My usual setting of both pickups full on, with the tone wide open, yielded "the sound" that I've been looking for.

The profile of the neck, coupled with the satin finish, makes for a super playable bass that I didn't want to put down even after 3 hours of straight playing. All the guys in the band commented on how great it sounded. I'm a convert. The Geddy Lee is gone, and my other main "player" bass is moving on to a new home this Friday.

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Congrats on the new bass! I'm going to order a Bob Glaub in another week or so. Keep on rockin :bassist:

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I love the Fralin pickups. They sound amazing, especially in a band setting.

Glad you're enjoying the bass. When I get home from work, I'll have to caress my own JO4 after reading this.

4. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Jive, it's all your fault!!! I was perfectly content to wait for a Darryl Jones, but you had to work your sinister plan on a two-fer deal. That put the JO in my hands to satisfy my immediate need until the DJ gets built.

Shannon