Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First rehearsal with "New to me" rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TJBass, Mar 26, 2004.

1. As I posted a few weeks ago I picked up a used Ampeg SVT410E cab and a used Hartke HA3500, last nite I got a chance to play with the rest of the band at the drummers house, and although I am really digging the growl and tone I get from the rig, it just seems like the cab can't handle what its getting from the head. I tried all sorts of eq and preamp settings and the closest I can get to enough volume without the speakers breaking up is turning the eq off completely and adjusting the low and hi controls, even then if I dig in it starts to break up a little, this is with the master on 3 or 4 with the Tube/SS both set at 12 o'clock and no compression.

Any ideas or suggestions?

TIA
    Jay

2. I'm giv'n er all she's got cap'n....I don-uh hav the powr!

My think'n is that it's the head and not the cab, but I dun-know. What impedence is the cab? Does the clip light come on?

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sounds like you might be running out of amp gas, Jay. Doubtful that cab won't handle what that head puts out. Underpowering, I'd say. What you're probably hearing is the amp running out of headroom and clipping. But that's just a guess based on your description. In any case, good luck, man.

Word to a fellow Osider, btw! :cool:

4. Not a very loud band, the cab is 8ohms which coupled with the Hartke head, the amp will push 200 watts and the cab is a 250 watt cab, I would think it would be pretty matched. I didn't see any clip light so that I can't answer.

Maybe play with master higher but with a very light touch? I don't play hard but I do when I dig in....

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I'd say try turning down the Tube/SS knobs a bit and turning up the master volume. You could even try turning down the volume control on your bass and adjusting with the master on the Hartke.

If that doesn't help, I'd say you probably need more power.

6. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    You really need to run the 3500 @ 4 ohms to get loud. If you add another 8 ohm cab, you'll be fine.

7. That amp sounds a lot like a Crate BT-350 I've got. Into 4 ohms it kicks :) but at 8 ohms it sucks :/

8. You need more amp and more speakers. Simple as that.