1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First report on Sadowsky 24 fret # 3691 and a little more

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If they used a clear finish like on Wood neck, It wouldn't sound so sterile & bla.

2. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Isn't he lucky!! Now I actually can take a "backup" bass to every gig without shlepping two hardshells.

L

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I love it when I can say "I told you so". :D Welcome to the Sadowsky-ites. Maybe we should start a cult???

I've always found with my Sadowsky that you can just set the EQ for the room and vary your tone by favoring the bridge or the neck pickup and your attack or positioning. Works for me.

One thing that you said surprised me. You said that the BN5 weighed a bit more? I would have thought that it would be lighter or at least close.

Roger sent me an email and said that he uses Mooradian gig bags. I haven't looked at the Mooradian bass guitar bags but when I was looking for a gig bag for my upright the Mooradian was the cream. Too expensive for me, though. $175 seems like a killer deal. I might have to save my pennies for one.

4. He could have gotten an Essex and ......

:)

5. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Which Sadowsky do you have again? The F bass is not a "lightweight". I've been told by a couple dealers that George is using a little heavier wood than he did a little while ago, but how would anyone really know that? More weight equals more tone all things being equal? That was the thought on another discussion earlier this week I think.

Ergonomically, I need to put the straplocks on the FBass and adjust the strap length I bought accordingly. My Levy's strap I use with my Lakland perfectly works for the Sadowsky. I think the strap buttons on the F are not in the same spot and although it obviously didn't affect the sound of the bass!!, it wasn't a real comfortable last gig. My back ended up smarting for a couple of days!!

I'll likely get the locks put on and get the F bass hangin' at the same height as what I'm used to as I think it's just slightly off which is throwin' off my back muscles.

The F was not a liteweight. Certainly lighter than a SR5 or Fender, but not lighter than the Lakland. You can really feel the difference between it and the Sadowsky. With the right strap height and strap (I may get something a little more supportive), I'm sure it will be fine.

L

6. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Larry, I've got the Vintage 5. She still sends shivers up my back when I get low with her.

Yeah, you've got to get the strap thing worked out. I have Levy 3.5" for each bass. I think it's the M4GF model. Cheap at BassNW. And straplocks...I think that Roger puts the Dunlop's on his basses so you just have to get the part that goes on the strap.

That info on the F Bass might make a difference to me when I finally go for my next bass. It is something that I will definately take into consideration. Maybe I need to start weighing my basses just to see what they really do weigh. I do think that my Sadowsky weighs about the same as my Lakland which is pretty darn light. And NEITHER is any slouch for tone. ;)

7. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    larry,

you should just start buying one bass every week.

if they ever get lonely, i'll be more than willing to take one of your basses out for the night. :)

congrats, and welcome to the sadowsky club.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Congrats Larry, glad to hear it's all working out. Doesn't surprise me in the least.

BTW I just got a deal on a used BN5 that was too good to pass up. Should be here next week. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to my F Bass Studio.

9. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Oh MAN, Brad. I thought that you were going to hook me up the next time you found an F Bass.

Maybe if you find that the BN5 works better than the Studio you can remember you ole buddy out here on the left coast. ;)

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    This is the only means I have of checking an F out... no local dealers. The deal came up fast so I jumped on it. I'll let you know what's up... I've been curious as to the differences between the BN5 and the Studio. I really like the Studio.

11. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I can't really imagine how this would be, but I will take your word for it. Because of the pickup and preamp configurations, are you comparing apples to apples?

12. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Bottom line, pardon the pun, IMHO, please keep in mind it's only the old man's ears (and my band mates... all seven of them), just more tone in the "right" frequencies. Now I haven't played the Sadowsky on a gig yet!!. That's gonna happen tonight. And please understand this is like comparing a golfer who shoots 75 and one that shoots par. There both excellent compared to others who play. There's very little difference but that difference is SO DARN HARD to achieve type of thing. I don't love Bartolini pu's and pre-amps. One of the main reasons I got the Modulus earlier in the year was to have EMG's instead. Unfortunately, as I've posted before, that bass needs a midrange control which I'm getting put on.

The F bass just has the "right" sound. The Lakland's low, mid, and high boost cut may just be in different places, but maybe it's the combination of George's pre-amp pickups, exact pu placement wood, whatever, the F just sounds better to me , especially in single coil mode, I think it even sounded better in the humbucker mode too but didn't quite have the snap as in single coil.

Please don't get me wrong. These two basses (Sadowsky and F Bass) "should" sound in my mind. It just surprised me how much. As to explain logically why, I don't know. The Lakland in my mind, is easier to play than the F Bass, neck is faster, solid as a rock, etc. It seems a bit lighter than the F, I like the ergonomics better on the Lakland. I just don't "love" the bartolini sound. Others do and it's again, not like I hate 'em. I don't. It's the golfer thing again!!

The Sadowsky on the other hand just floored me soundwise, especially, as I remarked, coming out of a crappy, well broken in practice amp not known for tone. I think the pu placement being closer to the bridge really compensates more than adequately for not having a midrange boost. I know that the bass will be unbelievably clean through my main rig if it was unbelievably clean through a $150 practice amp, know what I mean. Hopefully we can adjust the treble down slightly and the bottom up slightly in the right frequencies on the bass's on-board eq to make it work for me. The F bass has all I need tone wise on board to do whatever it is I need to do, be it adjust to the room or the specific song (like last dance, more mid's/ punchy stacato attack).

I still like the lakland and the verdict is still out on gig sound on Sadowsky. I'm trying to shoot par here after 35 years of playing. The lakland is the preferred instrument of plenty of guys who play a whole heck of a lot better than I do. I'm just one opinion of a seasoned, but none the less, part timer.

Please don't take my opinion as the gospel be it the tone or the weight of the bass. It's just an impression. It probably doesn't reflect the majority.

L

L

13. Larry,

The first time I played my Sadowsky 4 string jazz bass at a gig I was blown away as were the folks in the band. It's just sits and cuts so darn well whether it be fingerstyle or slap and pop. I remember we opened up with "Play that Funky Music (white boy)" and then Gap Bands "You Dropped A Bomb on Me" man, it was sweet! Then Free's "Alright Now." You'ver really got something to look foward to.:D

14. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Even with the F Bass I didn't have this much anticipation!!

L

15. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Great job Larry! I have a feeling you're going to like the Sadowsky. Now you got the best of all sounds...F and Sad. I got them too...that is the 24F and the F. I just think the Sadowsky cuts thru the mix alot better than any other basses. Roger knows his electronics. Why do you think Marcus Miller uses Roger to work on his bass!!

16. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have no doubt that Roger knows what he's doing. He's not a cheap date!! He's got a client list that are demanding players. Marcus, per Bass Player mag, is an unbelievable challenge for his bass tech and whoever else does work for him as he's not exactly "easy" on his equipment like some of us are!! He also is right up front pretty much and the bass has got to sound and be right all the time!

So....you prefer in a live performance situation the Sadowsky 24f over the F bass all the time/some of the time/most of the time? Where do you feel the basses differ the most? Or are you talking in the studio or a combination? Curious people want to know!!

L

17. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm speaking of personal experiences on Live ...just from listening from recorded gigs, and from the audiences. I can just hear the bassline very clear. In studio, I just switched it to passive mode and let those engineers mess with it.

18. In the studio and I live I keep the Sadowsky on -board preamp on 98% of the time. It just adds such depth.

19. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Way to go, Larry! A Sadowsky! Very nice, very nice. One of these days, I'll have to catch you at a gig or something. I wanna hear that bad boy.

Adam

20. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey Adam, You missed the F Bass purchase too!! We're at Anthony's in Solon next Saturday and we're playing at Six Flags today from 1:30 to 5:30.

I'll keep you posted on other gigs.

Some interesting news. Once I "remembered" to switch the pre-amp on on the F bass at last night's gig, I felt it had the preferred tone, especially in that room which was a bit rumbly, not terrible but not dry by any means. I'm not one who likes to mess with the amp's tone controls during the gig. Bassed on leaving things alone, the F bass sounded in my opinion, more penetrating, more growly? It didn't feel better, the Sadowsky is definitely and noticeably lighter, it really looks great, and frankly it sounded like a 9 out of 10 in a bass challenged room whereas the F Bass sounded like a 9.5 in the same room but was not as ergonomically "correct". I'm going to continue to take both instruments to all the remaining gigs this year and New Years in a two bass gig bag I ordered on Friday so I don't feel compelled to have to make a "choice." That way I can take advantage of whichever bass works the best in that venue.

Sounds too complicated but I'm stilling trying to justify spending the next 3 years gig money in less than 30 days!!!

See you. I'll review today's outdoor gig, provided I don't get electrocuted, on Tuesday.

LKaye