1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First report on Sadowsky 24 fret # 3691 and a little more

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    On both my gigs this past weekend, the F Bass, with the exception of ergonomics, was the tone winner over the Red Baron Sadowsky, #3691. Not like it was F Stupendous and Red B terrible. It was F excellent on both gigs, and Sadowsky excellent minus. If I didn't have the F, the Sadowsky would have been better than the Lakland or Modulus I own.

The F has more "snap", punch, it's cleaner in the Single coil mode, it's noisier than the Sadowsky in that mode too!! The adjustability of the F is significant and the bottom and midrange tone controls I feel are better voiced for live music. I think the Sadowsky might, I really would not be sure of this at all!!, be better for studio, it's definitely quieter but the F is decently quiet in humbucker mode, it looses a lot of it's snap in that mode.

I used only my EA 208 cabinets, had plenty of bottom end on both basses. The B strings on both were tremendous, clean, clear, punchy, and neither are 35 inch scale. The F definitely had more growl whereas the Sadowsky was more "polite" sounding, especially on the very little slapping/popping I do, which is for about 2 minutes a night if that.

With either bass however, the user experience and happiness meter was at an all time high level. Both basses are killer and my off the cuff, with no amp adjustment or 31 band eq tweaking, opinion, is the F bass is going to be my #1 live bass, but I will still play both on every gig for a while. That's not to say that the Sadowsky with a little eq tweaking couldn't have #1 tone. I'll keep you posted once I have some time to play.

LKaye

LKaye

2. Hey Larry:
    As an F Bass fanatic, I love the sound of George's instruments. The only models I have played that lacked the "perfect tone" they offer are
    1. my 1985 fretless 4, which used Bartolini Hi-A pickups, and
    2. a custom ordered F bass with EMG's

My deduction - George's own pickup design makes a huge difference.

The wood can do lots, after that its the electronics, and George's pups and pre's are definitely only found on the F Bass.

However - I am still envious of the Sadowsky - I know what Roger's pre-amp did for my MIA Jazz V, and I would love to find an affordable Sadowsky 5 to add to my arsenal.

3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey Larry,

I think you can get a "weight reducing" strap from F Bass that is a lot like a Comfort Strap. It makes a HUGE difference in the feel of the bass on your shoulder. At about $40, you can't go wrong. . .
    Laurence Mollerup

4. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    ok,

last night, i met up with larry at our local music store and was able to try out both his new sadowsky and his F-bass. i've been a loyal sadowsky owner for close to 10 years.

i totally agree with larry that his F-Bass just has more of the "mid growl" than the Sadowsky. the sadowsky was much smoother sounding.

we played through several amp combinations, and although the sadowsky sounded great, we couldn't get it to sound as good as his F-Bass. i even brought my sadowsky 4-string along, and i think the F-Bass sounded better than my sadowsky!

this is by no means, a knock on sadowsky. i love my bass, and i love the looks of larry's "red baron". i just feel that the F-Bass had a better sound to it.

5. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    It would be interesting to compare the F bass to a Sadowsky Vintage 5 instead of a 24F. I don't think the 24F was designed to sound like a jazz bass !

Ari

6. Jeff in TX

Jeff in TX Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Lone Star State
    I agree - My Vintage 5 (single coils) and my 24F (EMGs) don't sound alike. The single coils definitely have more growl. the pickup placement is also different, affecting the tone.

7. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I would agree with this (GASP!) The 'Sad with the single coils would probably sound equally growly if not more than the F bass. Even with my Zons, my dual coil soapbar Custom sounds way more hi-fi than my Sonus which sounds VERY agressive and growly.

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I feel that the older 24 fret bass with the EMG 40J's has the Jazz sound going for it but the newer ones withthe SoapBars have a different sound.

9. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    like i said, i did bring my 4-string sadowsky with the sadowsky jazz pickups on it for comparison.

my four string had more "growl" than the 5-string sadowsky, but it still did not equal the mid tone of the F-Bass.

10. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    i think that larry will agree with me, but the sadowsky has a "nice sound". i'm actually thinking of taking it off larry's hands if he's selling it. when comparing it to the F-Bass, it just sounded a little "thinner" and "smoother".
    in my opinion, the sadowsky looked and felt a little better than the F-bass. both basses are "top of the line"

11. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I (probably a distinct minority) do not care all that much for growl, but it's okay if it can be dialed out (that's why I got rid of the Fbass, couldn't get it clean). Which Sadowsky would be best for someone like me?

12. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I would have liked to get in on that taste test. What music store did you guys go to???

13. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    we went up to the mayfield guitar center. they weren't thrilled that we brought 3 basses in and played for over an hour, but that's ok. we just wanted a place that we could play through a couple of different amps.

i'm sure that we will get together again soon. i'd love to try out larry's modulus and lakland as well. larry is a bad influence on me.

RS, are you an eastsider? are you in a band? just curious.

craig

14. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Ah, screw GC Mayfield! When I was working there, I'd have loved a Sadowsky/F bass melange. I'd have probably needed a new pair of pants afterward, but it would've been fun. If you do it again, let me know! I wanna see all these.

15. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey RS, you can come to the Hman store...that's me, I have both. I guess next time you're in SF, CA!!

16. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Yep, eastside. No band right now. Know any people looking to start something adventurous/weird?

If I'm in San Fran any time soon, I'll look you up.

17. craigers2

craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    Cleveland
    RS, unfortunately, not right now.

larry and i both play in what i guess you would classify as "wedding bands", although both bands play some clubs around town. my band would not be considered adverturous or weird, but i really enjoy playing with the guys.