1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First results of recording my Ric-O-Sound in a studio

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by sloppy_phil, Aug 20, 2012.

1. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    And it's some rock-infused reggae music. My band is pretty typically reggae oriented, but we enjoy blending in other elements such as funk and afrobeat. Occasionally we let some of our love of rock creep in, and this is one of those tunes! We just finished laying down the rest of the instruments today, and while it took longer than expected to get the tracks recorded, I'm pleased with the results!

There has been little post-production applied. The tracks were cleaned up for empty spaces, some panning and levelling, and just a touch of EQ/compression on the drums to even them out. Otherwise it's totally raw, so please excuse the roughness of it all

my 4003 was recorded via the stereo output jack; I used an Ampeg B-18 for the neck pickup, and an Ampeg Micro-VR for the bridge pickup. Also a DI signal taken from the neck pickup was blended in. The stainless steels on there were pretty good and dead at the time... not ideal for this one, but better for the other tracks

In any case, hope you like. Would definitely appreciate some feedback/tips/advice.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Bump; I'm vain and want to know what people think!

3. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    one more bump; did I say vain? but seriously, i'd love some feedback!

4. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Nice. The intro reminded me of King Crimson for a second there - then you went in another direction.

Engineering-wise it sounds fantastic. Great mix. All instruments have good tone. The organ is awesome.

I'm not into Reggae / Ska all that much but this is undeniably cool.

Nicely done. Keep rocking! :bassist:

5. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    hahaha. King Crimson... I wish! I was pretty reserved about the whole reggae thing to begin with, but the groove eventually won over.

Thanks for the kind words!

6. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor

Aug 6, 2008
    PDX
    Sounds good! I was into ska back in the early 90s. That song was as good as anything on the radio back then. Definitely in league with bands like the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, etc.

7. Impressive! I have played Rics since the 70s and have NEVER (let me say that again) NEVER used the Ric-O-Sound feature for either live shows or recording....

Good job!!

8. jj4001

jj4001

Dec 27, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Why not?

9. :D

Actually a good question! To be honest just have never had the "need" to - not that I haven't thought about it from time to time, just never "goofed around with it"

I DID, however get to record a little "pre-production" ditty at the studio with the studios Heritage B-15 and I must say............WOW!!!

Honest to God - I was blown away

10. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah, I never used it either -- in my case, I just didn't have the equipment to do it.

This sounds pretty good!

11. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Sounds like a Jazz bass to me

12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    My main bass for 30+ years was a 1968 4001 ... it came mono. Finally around 2000 I got a 4001 with Ric-o-sound ... it is an interesting gadget but I didn't find it useful.

The whole idea why Ric-o-sound sounds good is parallel processing of 2 signals. One from each pickup. I run 4 parallel signals on my pedal board, but the original bass signal is mono because all of my basses are mono, my 2 Ricks are both 4004s.

If I did have a bass with ric-o-sound I wouldn't use it because I don't want to lug 2 amps around.

13. jj4001

jj4001

Dec 27, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I've been using it with a two channel amp and I'm really happy with the sound. The neck pickup clean and some overdrive on the bridge is sounding nice. It's also a great way to run a fuzz pedal and not lose low end, if you're into that.

Cheers!

14. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    It was certainly a fun experiment. I mostly use the Stereo output when I'm doing stuff with my Rush cover band (can't really nail the late 70s tone without it!), but I've found for some tunes with the reggae band it sounds really great. And I've got a pretty portable/convenient stage set-up; Ampeg Micro VR full stack, but one of the cabs is hooked up to an Epiphone Valve Senior head. It's really easy to move around, as no single item weighs more than 25 lbs.

In the studio it's nice to have the ability to blend certain channels in/out as needed, and really reinforce the bottom end with the neck while keeping the snarl of the bridge. For live use, I manipulate the volume/tone of the bridge pickup as needed, but typically run both p'ups/amps the whole night