1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First rig! Decent 410 for a Trace GP12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Soppy Hat, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Soppy Hat

Soppy Hat

Jul 14, 2012
    So, I'm finally making the switch from crappy combos and keyboard amps to a legitimate rig. Soon I'll be the proud owner of a Trace GP12 SMX! I figure its 350 watts will give me enough power to handle local gigs and recording.

I'm running into some problems choosing a decent 410 to pair with it though. I'm not exactly rolling in dough right now; the GP12 was a very lucky find and I was surprised I could afford it. I'd like to get some semi-hi-fi sounds out of whatever cab I choose... it's going to be fed a lot of distortion and a lot of clean, semi-classical playing in equal measure. My price range is $450 shipped-and that's stretching it- maximum. I already have a few in mind.

Whatever cab I choose also needs to be able to handle the Trace's 350+ watts as well (I hear they're very conservatively rated), and needs to get loud. It also needs to be transportable. I hope those aren't mutually exclusive. I don't mind weight if it's cheap and sounds great.

Right now I'm looking at a few Hartkes because I like the idea of aluminum cones, and because they're very cheap on the used market. All of these can be had for under 400:
    4.5XL
    410XL
    Pro 4200 (maybe a tad heavy)

Are Hartkes my best bet for a cheaper, hi-fi-esque (or at least clean) sound, or are there better options in my price range? I'm looking to save money wherever I can, as the sounds my group is chasing can require a lot of (a lot of) effects. More money. D: