Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First rig help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Irie01, May 7, 2002.

1. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I am about to get my first rig and the one thing that I have goin for me is that I want to go all Ampeg. For right now I want to get one cab and a head and I plan on eventually hookin up another cab. The first question I have is whether I should go with 10's or a 15. I have heard that 15's have a lower or warmer sound. Someone please make the difference clear. If it helps I play very bass heavy music like reggae so I want be able to get as deep and low as I can. I think that it would make sense to get a 8ohm cab because of my plan to later set up another cab. Correct me if that is wrong.

My next question is what head I should go for. Hopefuuly some of you guys have played with Ampegs before and can help me on this. I have Ampeg's pamphlet with all their gear on it. I need to know the difference between the B series heads and the Svt's. It looks to me like I need to go with the more costly head.

2. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    if its just ampeg, and you dont mind the weight....an SVT4-PRO head, with a PR410-HLF cab(pro series) ive played that same rig a lot a few months ago, and i dont think you'll need much more bottom than that....and if you need to, you can still get decent highs out of it. the only thing is, i dont know if they discontinued that particular 410, as ive heard they did recently....do you have a GC or something like that near you where you could try different set ups out??

3. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I accidently hit enter. Damn it. well anyway. The best way for me to explain my question is to give the technical info. about the heads I am considering. PLease help me understand what these mean exactly.

The B-4R:
    preamp: SolidState
    power amp: Mos-Fet
    Power Output:
    ( mono-bridged @ 4ohms)=340x2/1000
    (mono-bridged @ 8 =ohms)=205x/700
    9 band eq
    3 band tone control

SVT-4PRO:
    Preamp:Tube(3X12AX7)
    Power Amp:Mos-Fet
    Power Output:
    (mono-bridged @4ohms)=490x2/1200
    (mono-bridged @8ohms)=300x2/900
    9 band eq
    3 band tone control

SVT-5PRO
    Preamp: tube
    power amp:MF
    Power Output:
    (mono bridged @ 4ohms)=340x2/1000
    (mono-bridged @8ohms)=255x2/680
    Eq: it says N/A
    3 band tone control
    I picked these out mainly because they are the ones with the highest digits in the power out put categories. I believe that this is what I want. I would be very grateful for anyones advice or knowledge about this.

4. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    again, im all for the svt4pro. reasons - i personally prefer the tube preamp in the svt4pro over the SS in the b4r. also, the svt4pro is more powerful(and i dont believe you can ever go wrong there:D ) and my opinion is also based on the fact that i havent had the oppurtunity to try the svt5pro yet. hope this helps, or someone else more knowledgable than i can help you out.