First rig help.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Irie01, May 7, 2002.

1. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I am about to get my first rig and the one thing that I have goin for me is that I want to go all Ampeg. For right now I want to get one cab and a head and I plan on eventually hookin up another cab. The first question I have is whether I should go with 10's or a 15. I have heard that 15's have a lower or warmer sound. Someone please make the difference clear. If it helps I play very bass heavy music like reggae so I want be able to get as deep and low as I can. I think that it would make sense to get a 8ohm cab because of my plan to later set up another cab. Correct me if that is wrong.

My next question is what head I should go for. Hopefuuly some of you guys have played with Ampegs before and can help me on this. I have Ampeg's pamphlet with all their gear on it. I need to know the difference between the B series heads and the Svt's. It looks to me like I need to go with the more costly head.

2. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    if its just ampeg, and you dont mind the weight....an SVT4-PRO head, with a PR410-HLF cab(pro series) ive played that same rig a lot a few months ago, and i dont think you'll need much more bottom than that....and if you need to, you can still get decent highs out of it. the only thing is, i dont know if they discontinued that particular 410, as ive heard they did recently....do you have a GC or something like that near you where you could try different set ups out??

3. Irie01

Irie01

Jan 22, 2002
    I accidently hit enter. Damn it. well anyway. The best way for me to explain my question is to give the technical info. about the heads I am considering. PLease help me understand what these mean exactly.

The B-4R:
    preamp: SolidState
    power amp: Mos-Fet
    Power Output:
    ( mono-bridged @ 4ohms)=340x2/1000
    (mono-bridged @ 8 =ohms)=205x/700
    9 band eq
    3 band tone control

SVT-4PRO:
    Preamp:Tube(3X12AX7)
    Power Amp:Mos-Fet
    Power Output:
    (mono-bridged @4ohms)=490x2/1200
    (mono-bridged @8ohms)=300x2/900
    9 band eq
    3 band tone control

SVT-5PRO
    Preamp: tube
    power amp:MF
    Power Output:
    (mono bridged @ 4ohms)=340x2/1000
    (mono-bridged @8ohms)=255x2/680
    Eq: it says N/A
    3 band tone control
    I picked these out mainly because they are the ones with the highest digits in the power out put categories. I believe that this is what I want. I would be very grateful for anyones advice or knowledge about this.

4. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    again, im all for the svt4pro. reasons - i personally prefer the tube preamp in the svt4pro over the SS in the b4r. also, the svt4pro is more powerful(and i dont believe you can ever go wrong there:D ) and my opinion is also based on the fact that i havent had the oppurtunity to try the svt5pro yet. hope this helps, or someone else more knowledgable than i can help you out.