First rig suggestions/questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sojourner, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Sojourner

Sojourner Supporting Member

Okay, so this past week has been quite generous to me in the sound/video/lighting business as my boss has upped the pay to 20 bucks an hour for running a camera and loading in/out equipment for 30 hours last week. However, this week I will be bent over and smacked in strange places by working approximately 70 hours. I say all this to say that I am planning on finding a new rig after next week(end) sometime with my new-found "wealth".

I'm looking at maybe the area of $600-$700 plus possibly adding an Ovation acoustic guitar and my Vox T25 practice amp to the booty to make it more. With that stuff it would make it (hopefully) to the $900-$1K range. For the sake of having bills to pay and low trade-in allowances everywhere you go, lets say the $800 to $900 range.

Here's the dilemma... I was thinking of finding a head of some sort (I'm thinking at least 150W...but as much bang for the buck as I can afford, of
    course) and a 4x10 cabinet of some sort. Then I thought about it more and because of the fact that my band plays straight up rock that's about half
    and half in standard and D that it may be a good idea to get perhaps a 2x10 and a 1x15 instead to give me that extra rumble. I know that 150W would
    *work*, but when I've played with that amount of power it was pushed quite a bit with little to no headroom. Ideally I would like 250 to 300 watts, but the more the merrier. I've also been told that with certain 2x10" combos I wouldn't even need a 15" cab on the bottom as they are able to handle the D nicely.

All that being said, what are the suggestions as far as brands and setups that I could score in the $800 to $900 range mentioned above. I don't need
    overkill and I'd also like to steer clear of anything that's more than a beast to move, but I want to be heard and I want it to be able to be tight and punchy and also have that rumble that I need for the dropped D songs. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

1) keep the practice amp. you won't get squat for it on a trade in, and you will always find a use for it.
    2) the same is likely going to be true for the Ovation too.
    3) buy used. I think for the $600 or so you can afford I would consider a good combo. I bought a NOS Mesa Boogie Bassbuster 2x10 combo from GC in Boston for $500.00. These type of deals do exist, you just gotta shop around. If you really want a 4x10, you are likely looking at a Peavey 4x10TX which is not actually that bad if you replace the crappy horn. That will leave you about $250-300 for the head. Not a lot to work with, but you should be able to find a Peavey head, Firebass?, for that price. I still suggest a combo of at least 150 watts.
  3. Sojourner

Thanks Bryan. A combo is most definitely still not out of the question, I just thought I'd search for something a bit bigger just in case I could actually find something that size. For what it's worth, a local music store just began their going out of business sale. As is typical, this means that the regular prices got bumped up to near list so they could lower them and make it look like they were giving you a better deal when they really weren't much, if any, better than their prices of before. I figure if I don't find anything in Atlanta next week at GC, Mars, or anywhere else that I could make an offer on something at the local store and they'd be hard-pressed to turn it down.

Any other suggestions?

4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    don't buy it all at once.. bye in pieces... this is a good way to go if you have bills to pay. Buying all at once will leave you with deep pockets..

Cabs. Ampeg bxt410 or an aguilar 410 would not leave you wanting. They run between $750-850, but you can probably find them used at a good price

Power I suggest going separate here. Get a power amp and a preamp separate that is. A carvin DCM1000 or DCM1500 can be had for less than $500.

As for preamp... there are alot of them.. some good, some bad, some are really expensive. You'll have to check that out.
  5. Hi, Brent. I guess I'm starting to sound like the Quadzilla du jour here (sorry, Fred!), but for the number you put up, why don't you consider a used G-K head and an Avatar cab or two? There's a couple of 800 RBs and 400 RBs each on eBay now. And a pair of Avatar B210 & B115 will run you under $480, shipped. For another $65 or so (and another 30 lbs, though) you can turn the B210 into the B410, if you can handle the extra size and weight yourself.

I also agree with lo-z. Keep your T25 and the Ovation. You'll regret it if you don't.

(EDIT) Hey, Brent, I just checked your profile -- do you still have the SansAmp Bass Driver? If so, why don't you use that as a preamp and purchase a quality power amp, such as a Crown, QSC, Crest, or Stewart? Buying used or new, you'll have a lot more headroom at a reasonable cost. And you can add an upgraded preamp later. (END EDIT)

As always, JMO.

6. Sojourner

As far as buying in pieces....that's not really an option. I have extra cash now, but once summer is over and the fall semester starts I will be back to my part-time on-campus job that pays only enough to get by and will be able to afford even less.

Ovation/T25 issue: I really won't gain anything or lose anything by trading these in. They've done their job for me and I won't cry if I don't get much for either. The Ovation sits in its case unused because I've gone with a vintage Takamine I have. The T25 won't be needed when I get a new combo/rig and where I store my gear is the same place I play my gear at home, so the 'portability' of the T25 is not an issue since the new stuff won't move when I'm at home.

Carvin... Heard too much bad that outweighs the good about their power amps around the pro audio biz to justify getting one.

Sansamp... I still use the SansAmp, but it was purchased for me by my church to use for playing in I don't exactly like stealing it all the time for outside gigs. I'm leary of the whole power amp, pre-amp, cab thing anyway...I don't know why, but I am.

eBay... A great source for getting things you've played before that you know you want. However, I don't really know what each brand/cab sounds like, so I'd like to play them before buying.

Avatar... Where can I find out more about these and/or order them? I've heard good things about them...just never where to order them.

Another thing... Where can I find out more about the Euphonic Audio iAmp (or something like that...)?? A friend of mine keeps harping on his and I'd like to find out about pricing and where I could try one.

7. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    See if you can't find a used Peavey Nitro OR Firebass head.
    More juice than you "need", very good sound and quite reliable.

As far as cabs go, there are many, many viable options. Come to think of it, the same applies to heads/amps!

Just try the stuff out first & see if it will fit your perceived needs.
    Oh I see you said you will do that!
    Good for you!

I'd like some Euphonic Audio stuff too though it's not in the budget for quite some time...I think.

Happy hunting,

owner of a very good sounding Peavey/Eden rig
  8. I totally agree. For me, the 80 pound B410 cab was the decision maker to go with a B210 at 50 pounds instead. It's 1:20 AM right now in South Florida, and I just loaded out from rehearsal while stepping over my recalcitrant, passive-aggressive cat who is PO'd at being alone all night. If you have help with load-in / load-out, especially at 4 AM, and you can transport it OK, get the B410. The setup precognition described DOES rock.