Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassPlayerRH, Mar 1, 2003.

1. I like the Avatar B410. It looks like a great value for all the watts you get for only $390 shipped. What I'm asking is if it really matters what head you have. As long as it is decent, the cabinet is really the deciding factor in how loud the thing is, right? So even though the head might have say, 200 watts, the cab will still perform loud? Would it benefit me to get the cab in a 4 ohm version just so the head will produce more power? Thanks for your help.

2. Even though the cab does have a large impact on volume (for example, its sensitivity, range), the power of the amp does just as much. In my experience, 200 watts won't get you very far. I would just say to look around at used stuff and get a head that has the most power and best sound for the cheapest.

jtbp

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I second the thought that 200 watts isn't enough.

I would stongly recommend that you get the 8 ohm version for several reasons.

First, if the amp that you buy has a minimum impedance rating of 4 ohms, you wouldn't be able to add another cabinet in the future...like another 4x10 or a 1x15.

Second, most amps don't make that much more power at 4 ohms than at 8. Therefore, the loudness difference might not even be apparent yet your amp will run hotter.

Look for a good used head, 300 watts or more. Also, while the scooped mid, smiley face EQ sounds good at home, it doesn't cut through well with the band and you'll run out of power real quick trying to hear yourself.

There's lots of great gear out there at reasonable prices...have fun!!!!

4. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    When you say 200 watts isnt enough, do you mean like for a club or bar, or some other type of venue

Would it be enough for a band practice/ small backyard gig?

Im sort of in an rgument with my band. They think im too loud with my 25 watt combo. But ewere adding drums, and i try to tell them that the litle combo wont cut it when we have drums/vocals/ etc. I bought a power amp that runs 210watts at 4ohms, and i just bought an avatar 210.

5. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Those damn guitarists!:D:spit::meh:

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Depends on the drummer. I think your new rig will be fine for rehearsal and the back yard. You do have a volume knob, so when they say you're too loud, you can pretend to turn it down. :D Sometimes I turn down just a teeny bit and they say "ok good"