Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Rush album you learned?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by McHaven, Jul 29, 2005.

1. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Sorry if this had been done before, I couldn't find a thread like it.

I really dig Rush and I want to learn some more of them because I think it will help me as a player. So, what album could I learn that isn't insanely difficult? I'd like to have it all down by new years too. I work better with a deadline.

Thanks

2. Set the bar high - Moving Pictures :)

Set the bar insanely high - Vapour Trails (all that "flamenco" technique :eek: )

Have a good time - 2112 :D

Scratch your head, *** is he playing there? - just about any :help:

3. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I know none of them are easy but I don't want any that are so completely frustrating that I assasinate Geddy.

4. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    actually ive learned vapor trails....yes the flamenco sytle is hard. but i didnt learn it until afterwards. but i would start with 2112, and then jusmp onto la villa strangito and then freewill bass solo, then youll be set!!!!
    but geddy is a GREAT player and good person to look up to but 2112 is a great album to learn.

5. TechZilla

TechZilla

Jun 18, 2005
    Owensboro, KY
    Go for 2112

It is lots 'o' fun and it's not "too" bad to learn. It was one of my firsts back in the day.

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Moving Pictures is a good one. Some songs on there are pretty straightfoward (Limelight and Witch Hunt) while others get a little trickier (Vital Signs, YYZ, Red Barchetta). Vital Signs is actually one of my favorite warmup songs. That one's got a little bit of everything in it: the verse section that you need to be on top of or things derail really badly, the straight ahead grooving bridges, and a neat little mini-solo.

Vapor Trails is pretty insane. That is the most dense, insane record Rush has ever put out. Geddy's crazy flamenco-nutty breakdown in the middle of Ceiling Unlimited gives me goosebumps still.

7. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    I learned "Moving Pictures".........on 8 track, I don't know if you are familiar with the 8 track format ,but it was a challenge. You pretty much had to play through the whole "album" in one sitting...there really wasn't rewind pause or fast forward......KACHUNK.....have fun

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm a massive Rush fan, but I've never really felt the need to learn other bassists' lines. Except for YYZ. I love that tune.

If I had to learn a whole Rush album, I'd probably choose Hold Your Fire.

9. I got "Counterparts" on right now. Love this album. It's sorta back to school for Rush. Leave the keys behind, return to rock.

What say you?

10. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    OK...enough of what you SHOULD try to play...
    This is what I really DID learn bass from...back in the early/mid '80's...
    CARESS OF STEEL...ok, not one of the best or most famous Rush albums...but not a bad one either...
    Not hard to learn, and a good model for how to play a wicked Ric.
    Play along with Bastille Day, and keep on going until you hit the Fountain of Lamneth. Once you get those fills in Bacchus Plateau, you know you are getting there...
    Then on to higher endevours, such as "The Gates of Delirium"! (yeah, that's what Geddy was aspiring to)
    Farewell to Kings...some of Geddy's best playing, with Hemispheres and Moving Pictures...though Xanadu is tormentingly tuned flat in the studio version. The song itself is a model on how to play bass.
    And Peter, though the bass is nice in "Counterparts", I think the songwriting is a shadow of what old Rush had to offer. Two stars from me, I even prefer '80's synth Rush to this "Let's try to sound like Soundgarden but with horribly suited philosophical lyrics" record.