1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First serious cabs - Eden Ex112 vs TC Electronic K212?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thumperstomper, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Thumperstomper

Thumperstomper

Oct 14, 2018
    Hi guys - like it says in the title, I’m looking at my first serious rig (veteran guitar player, hobby bass player), and I’ve got a GK MB500 that I got for a great price used. I’ve been using it at home with a makeshift Ashdown 1x15, but I’d like something better.

I’m looking at either 2 Eden ex112s or a TC K212. The Edens will of course be 4 ohms together, so the full 500 watts. The TC is cheaper and lighter, but only 8 ohms.

I’m playing a G&L Tribute M2500, and I tend to favour the bridge pickup, lots of mids and pretty modern sound. I use the 5th string a lot, so I need the cabs to handle the B string down to at least low D. I play top 40s covers (or at least that’s my ambition), and I’d like it to be able to handle up to medium sized stages and work well for pop/rock/funk.

Unfortunately, no dealers of either cab in my country, so I can’t try before I buy online - though I can return them.

Any and all experience, opinions and input is much appreciated - thanks!

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The obvious choice would be GK cabs...have you tried those?

3. If not GK, of your picks... Eden

4. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Having played the Ex112's I think the TC cabs will give you more and better sound.

5. Thumperstomper

Thumperstomper

Oct 14, 2018
    Thanks guys - this still being somewhat of a hobby for me (I gig a couple of weekends each month on guitar vs. a couple of times a year on bass), I’m a bit hesitant to blowing off too much money on a cab, such as a GK. Weight is a definite factor, so the 4x10 used GK and Hartke cabs that are everywhere on the used market, are out of the question. The whole 2x12 thing is pretty new to me regarding bass, but I’ve read really good stuff about them and they seem to compare favourably to 4x10s which I see all the gigging guys use.

Any reason why GK should be obvious?

I’m sorry for singling you out here, but I’ve been reading a lot about cabs here, and I sort of wondered about your relationship with the Ex112s; to quote a couple of threads from may and december 2015;

... Where it seems like your attitude towards the Ex112 vs. The Hydrive turned sharply - any reason for that?
    ... Like I said, this is by no means meant to put you on the spot - I’m just curious as to why you started of not liking the Ex112, then changed to preferring it over the Hydrive, and now advising me not to go for it?

6. Thumperstomper

Thumperstomper

Oct 14, 2018
    Out of curiosity - why the Edens?

7. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Given my experience with the TC gear I would give the cab you're looking at a try before the Eden EX or the Hydrive 112. Just my $.02.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018