Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Setup I done tonight on my Bass, What you think of the action readings?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Whitey, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Whitey

Whitey

Jan 8, 2002
    Beckley, WV
    I did my first setup tonight on my bass. The thing that I am not sure of because I couldn't find a steel ruler with increments of 64'ths or 32's. I used a regular ruler and from the bottom of my strings to the top of the fret on the last fret my action measured 1/8 of an inch. I don't know what 1/8 would translate to in 64'ths or 32's increments. Can someone break this down for me and post the answer. How does this sound? Would 1/8 of an inch of height be considered High action, medium or low action? Also, I used the feeler guages to measure my neck relief and found that being reccomended that a feeler guage of .014 be used and should slide between the string and fret did not work for me. I come out to something more around .010 or .011 . However, I do not have fret buzz. When eyeballing my neck it does appear to be straight and flat as can be. Therefore, yielding no relief. What are your thoughts on this also.
    Thanks,
    Whitey

2. My neck is straight as, obviously a slight bit of relief so its not under too much tension.

I have no idea on this 1/8 stuff. I am australian, we use millimetres and centimetres.

Welcome to Talkbass. Good to hear you attempted your own setups. thats what we are here for too, to help you through it.

:D:D

Merls

3. Imperial measurement - the tool of the Devil...

4. ok... mind if i ask what year in math you're in? fractions all work the same way. 1/8=2/16=4/32=8/64 therefore, your string height would be 8/64ths. at the moment, i forget what the measurement of my strings are. I just know how i like them, and go from there, so i have no need to measure it out. I'm not sure if you measured your action properly either. You may want to check out www.mrgearhead.com (i believe thats the link) and look up "set ups". they will tell you everything you need to know.