Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

First Show - Arrgghhh!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Gabu, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Man..........

How come you guys didn't tell me that gigs take a lot of work to pull off?

The band ahead of us was a Beatles tribute band. Cool stuff, although the crowd that they brought in was not really as into our genre... but heck, people were there!

Anyway, they tear down their stuff late. The bar owner is on our butts because we are starting late. I am setting up our PA and not getting any signal from our mics. I sweat it big time for about 2 or 3 minutes... though it felt like an hour... The power amp was on but the mixer was off. :p

So, we get it all setup... sound check for a minute... and begin our song. Somehow we got the sound check wrong, the lead guitar was way too low. We adjust that between the first and second song... second song we get a bunch of feedback. Adjust that between the second and third. Third through 12th song went off well.

Here and there through the second and third set we got some feedback, and I could not join in on background vocals because of our limited space. I was just way too close to the pa speaker. I made a few minor and two major booboos... but all in all we pulled it off.

Unexpected:

We got applause after every song.

We got asked to come back next month.

I will add pictures after the wifey develops them. My wife is awesome by the way! She has offered to help us tweak the PA on the fly. :D Well, I was scared as heck to go in front of people and do my thing, but I lived to tell the tale. It was a Hell of a rush. I was actually surprised by how much work it was too. My friend captured some of it with his camcorder... If I can figure it out, maybe I can add a video clip or two for you guys. :)

Thanks TB for all your help!

2. Well, I got my first live experience last freakin' Friday!!!

Before the show, I was like "I waited for this for a long time", "this is SOOOO cool", and "control, control, don't let mistakes put you down"...

Then came the playing... yikes!

I was daddy cool for the first three songs, but I already noticed I was sweating like crazy and tapping my foot too fast. On the fourth song I went F&$%!! blank for 10 seconds. I missed a note and lost it for a moment... and the funky lights and the guitars did not help me get back in less time...

BUT I SURVIVED!!! I finally hooked up back into the song... AND PEOPLE DIDN'T NOTICE!!

Oh, well, I played correctly for the remainder of the gig but I was so tense I tightened my lips and kept an eye on that fretboard all the time.

After the show, people were telling me I did great. I should have been euphoric...

But guess what: I was mad over the blank-out. It was all that mattered to me... I ****** up!

So here is my moment and somehow instead of being euphoric I'm thinking about what I have to correct for the next show... AND ****** I CAN'T REMEMBER ANYTHING ABOUT THE GIG!!!! WERE MY SYSTEMS @$&% UP OR WHAT!!! No really I don't remember much, though people told me I played well so apparently I played my basslines correctly.

So much for expectations and dreaming about the moment... heh... when you get there it ain't as fantastic and playing becomes work...

BTW two weeks ago I had my first studio experience (for my band's demo) and it was not as tense. What was weird was playing into the SansAmp. But the demo came out OK except for this one note I missed badly, note I couldn't really change with only two days to have the demo CD ready.

The highlight: Having the studio owner (a musician) say my bass playing reminded him of The Charlatans(UK)... that was interesting...

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Well, first "real" show.... I have played for friends at gatherings and stuff. But this was a paid gig for a bar in front of strangers. Definately a whole new animal. :eek:

I forgot to mention something. Maybe I was blocking out the memory. After the first set, one of the fellas from the Beatles Tribute band knocked over my new bass as he was walking by carrying his cab out. He hung out while I checked it over to make sure it was okay, so I was cool with it. It scuffed the headstock a bit but I didn't see any body dings. I think the body hit a pile of cables. The head hit the drum riser, which worries me. I hope there isn't any significant stress damage where the neck joint is or something. :( It was out of tune, but seemed to play fine after I tuned it up. I have checked it twice for damage or cracks or whatever... but I think I will check it again when I get home.

That was the first fall for this bass.

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I know just what you mean. This is exactly my thoughts too! I think the second time will be cooler. The first time was a lot of stress. ;)

5. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    hey guys, once you play out a few more times, you'll start to get way more comfortable with it. im 19, and ive been doing it for the past 5 years or so, and it doesnt faze me any more. the biggest show i've done was in front of 1500-2000 people, and ive found that as long as you dont focus on the crowd, you dont get nervous. makes sense, eh? i still get somewhat nervous from time to time, but oddly enough, its only for smaller shows, where there are like 50-100 people. and as far as people noticing your screw ups, most people wont, because most of the people in a crowd are not musicians, and are so into just being at a show that they dont care. just some encouragement:)

6. Well Joel I don't think I ever looked at the crowd... I think...

7. Isn't playing out great? I haven't done it for years, and my new band is just about ready, but I've got lots of rust to shake off. I've missed it a lot.

NWB, I used to sweat the mistakes a lot too. The trick about that is, don't let the crowd notice you made a mistake, and they won't care that much, or even notice it at all. The worst thing you can do is call attention to it (especially when the whole band whips their heads around to look at the guy who did it-that's just embarrasing). Keep playing through it, for all the crowd knows, it's just part of the song.

Anyway, I can't wait to get back out, load up the van with cabinets, drag them through freezing cold and/or rain, lose cords, break pedals, knock over basses, fight with the guitarist and try to drag the drummer away from the bar when it's time to break down, get home at 4 am on a work night...well, maybe I don't miss it that much.

Yeah, I do.

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, it sounds like an excellent gig. You learned a ton, and you can't place a value on that. Over time, setting up will become more routine, and you won't have as many glitches with the PA and stuff.

Also, once we get the various EQ and levels set on the FOH and monitor mixes, we don't change them much at rehearsals. It helps to try to remember the general levels, in case you use your PA to mix another band between your gigs.

When our sound man doesn't make it, I do the mix from the stage, and the audience usually doesn't even notice that I'm going nuts for the first three songs, trying to play, mix the FOH, and mix the monitors all at the same time. I start with the front-of-house, then go to the monitors. That means absorbing gobs of dirty looks from the band because "I can't hear myself in the monitor!" "Well, it's just always about you, isn't it?" I retort.

Isn't this fun?

10. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    Just like one of the other guys said- the more you do it- the easier it becomes. I'm still guilty of not making eye contact with the crowd- I end up closing my eyes most of the time- probably looking like a wanker... but what the hell! Don't even think about all that other crap- when you're on stage playing live- your only thought should be about the pocket, and laying down a phat groove!
    Keep gigging- you will learn more than years of practice!

11. My first Show was when i was 13 in The Group "adams Not funny" we were all young(which im not in the group anymore) and it was at an american legion hall it was a success because drumsets was not a problem. All 6 bands used the opening bands drumset. Well now play shows Monday, Wednesday, thursday, Friday, and Saturday and we get a full crowd at all shows(im in a differant group now it is a hardcore/heavymetal act) I I gotta get goin now for that show!

12. My first show was last summer. huge rush. scary as hell. the pa at the "cafe" (it was a little club with a restrante and a music store(very good) attched) was broken ahh it took an hour to get it fixed and the sound guy kept on asking for instrumentals, and we were a ska/punk band so those were rare, so we played some sublime songs with out lyrics, which didnt sound that bad. i love giging even though it scres the hell out of me. but my band broke up after a few shows but we are getting back together to play a sorta charity show sponsored by amnisty international, the show it called jamnisty buut brothers friend played last year. it is preatty big, brings a couple hundred ppl i am already nervious. plus i get to use the mesa they rent

13. My hardcore Band Does all Benifit Shows we dont get jack **** money for shows. But its ok. we all have jobs and i make money off of recording and playing for other people in various things

14. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    My first public gig about 10-ish years ago was in a metal band that was playing an outdoor gig in front of 2500-3000 people. I had only been in the band about a month and had to learn 22 songs before that gig. I was HORRIFIED for the days leading up to the show.......then after the first few songs I settled down and had a blast. Over the years (still in a metal band.....playing out next week) it has become second nature......I've had beer spilled on all of my gear and have cleaned what looks like vomit off of my pedal board many times:eek:. When I make mistakes, I fail to acknowledge them and all is well...it's something for my band mates to rag on me about later and that is about it.
    We stopped messing with the PA stuff ourselves and just hire someone.........iy cuts into the $$$$$$$ but is worth it for the hassle saved.
    Above all.....enjoy it.......no use doing it if you don't have fun.

Brian Crisman

15. DieRythmus

DieRythmus

Mar 25, 2002
    DSOTM,
    I have always been the bass player from Adam's Not Funny. Who are you?

adam
    www.adamsnotfunny.com

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Sounds to me like it went pretty good for your first gig. And since you got asked back again, other the crowd/bar owner must have thought it went well, too.

We have our own sound man that comes with us. Makes life a lot easier. But sounds like you have that covered if your wife is gonna start helping you guys out with it. Pretty cool wife.;)

And it gets a lot easier with the more gigs you play.

17. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico

*Twilight Zone music in the background*

18. Excuse me? There's only one daddy cool.

That aside... I'm suprised that that was your first gig gabu. I was under the impression you had been playing for ages now... it just seems unusual that you start gigging so late. Good job all the same. :)

19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yeah, I have been screwing around with playing for a long time. But for all that time myself and my bandmates lacked the drive needed to really make it work. Finally I am serious enough, mature enough, and playing with guys who who are also, to make it happen.

That said, show number 2 is on Friday! I would love to meet any TB members so come on down and I will buy you a beer, or soda if you prefer. :)

20. bailstric

bailstric

Aug 12, 2001
    Ontario Canada
    i have my first gig in 2 months im so scared theres no way we will be ready! but what the heck at least were playing soemthing!