First Show or Darn Cords!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JoeRules00, Jan 1, 2003.

1. So I joined a band with some of my friends about 3 months ago (but to be honest, only about 3 weeks ago, because thats when the old bassist finally was told he got the boot). Monday morning when I wake up, by which I mean 2 P.M, I get a call. We've got a show Tuesday night at a New Year's Party. I freak out. I've never done a show, and lets be frank, I'm rather anal, whereas these guys constantly play parties being very underpracticed and just flat out not ready.

Not on my watch.

They get over to my place at 3 , practice till 11, watch Transformers: The Movie, then sleep, wake up at 8, practice till 3, load up, unload, and then I'm off to work till 10. I arrive at the party at 10:30, moments before when we're set to play.

Monday, my guitarist says, I'm thinkin' we might have a problem with cords. Ours suck. So I say, I've got money, lets make a pitstop at Brook Mays and pick 2 up. "Nahh" they say.

We get through the first song alright, the crowd is diggin' it, and we're getting ready to play Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American. We start the song off, and a guitar promptly dies. "Keep going!" I'm shouting, trying to get over the amps. Alas, to no avail. After the 1st chorus, everyone else stopped.

Care to guess what the problem was? Yup, broken cord.

So we've just lost one of our best songs, and our guitarist has no cord. We're not too bad off, right? Sarcastic as it sounds, it actually is true. Drummer/bassist impromptu for a bit while the guitarists get after fixing it. Alright, the crowd still likes us, we're good. Success! The guitarist gets his cord working again, however, it only works when held a certain way, so he's forced to stand in one spot for the rest of the show.

We go through the rest of the set (Finch - Letters To You, Jimmy Eat World - The Middle [minus Solo, unfortunately], and Weezer - Say It Aint So [which was a bit more challenging than I would have figured]) and it's time for the last song, Blink 182 - Dammit. Well, as I've mentioned before, I go quite crazy while playing, and here we are, fast paced song, easy to play, psycho bassist. This couldn't possibly go wrong!

I'm running about, doing my thing, and I decide, I'm gonna go get in the crowd, and as I run toward them, I get yanked back. I've forgotten, I'm on my shorter cord because my regular cord is being used to connect my amp to my compressor (why, I don't know. I didn't get to set up.) So the crowd laughs and the bassist falling down, and I haul ass back to the amp. Plug in again, and start rockin' out. We're nearing the end of the song, and I've decided, I need to make up for my stupidness. I turn to my left, and see stairsteps of amps.

I run up and jump off the biggest amp, hitting the big cliche'd rockstar pose (I'm PRAYING there's a pic of it) just as the song hits its final chorus. The song ends, and we get our applause, which is actually suprising. Sure, we played well, but the techincal difficulties held us way back.

A bunch of people come over and talk to me, and basically just tell me they're pretty amazed by my playing. I was amazed. Then they hear I've only played for a year, and it's their turn.

Quite a night, all in all.
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Congrats on a good gig! All of the above just shows why, after years of playing gigs, I have a large gig bag that has 6 cords, spare strings, batteries, a complete tool kit, song charts (just in case my mind goes blank), a small towel, etc etc etc. This stuff is used ONLY for gigging. Once we pack up, it stays there until the next gig. I have another set that I use for practice. In other words, be prepared, 'cause Murphy always lurkes behind your cab :D ready to enact his famous law.
  3. Kinda sucks how the stuff you don't want in your CAB manages to get stuck in there, but not the stuff you want oustide it... ;)

Glad it turned out great! Can't 'till February :D
  4. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    *Yoda voice on* When older and more experienced you are, spare cables to the gig you will bring. *Yoda voice off*

Congrats on having a great show.

Regarding the running up the amps and jumping off thing: do you have a death wish?

5. When I am poor and young, no cables there shall be. :)

and as for the second question, sure, why not? :)
  6. I have alway wanted to climb on my amp and jump off, but at a show a while back our guitar player jumped off his twin and broke the verb tank!! I have an 810 and an SVT CL so I think I may need a latter to get up there!

I could hook you up with some great cords really cheap if you need em.
  7. Wow, thanks. That'd be really awesome. (mind you, none of my cords had problems, aside from the distance issue, its all the guitarists' fault. :D )

PM me if you would.