Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FIRST SHOW WITH THE SCHROEDER (OMFG)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Aug 19, 2005.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Just got back from my first live show with my new Schroeder 410. It just arrived this morning so I was nervous about not being able to get to know it a little ahead of time but whoah......now fears after about 30 sec on stage.

First off let me say there was absolutely no need for the PA in this 800+ person venue with more than half that many in attandance. This pig is LOUD. Absolutely the clearest warmest thing ever.

I was skeptcial about the capabilities of a 410, but longer. Jorg, you've made a believer out of me.

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Awesome dude!

I'm hoping to get some schroeder gear in the not to distant future, what amp and bass set up did you use?

-Rob

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...400+ people at ANY NY deathmetal show is pretty unbelievable. Who headlined, got pics...

~S~

PS: Glad to hear you liked your cab...

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Hehehehe... It'll do that to ya! ;)

5. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    haha yeah. It wasn't strictly a DM show, and we had SIX bands, some of the best in the Area:

Son of Mourning (Melodic DM)
    Ocularis (Heavy Metal)
    Silver Tongued Devil (Nu-Metal)
    Necromancy (Brutal Death Metal)
    One False Move (Hardcore)
    Straight Thru Sanity (Vintage Thrash a la King Diamond)

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yep, they are amazing cabs!

Glad you like it.

7. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    410 plenty loud with 800 people and no PA support. Interesting or what!!! Hey guys...this is no 500 watt cabinet. It's a true 1400 watt + 100 watt tweeter cabinet. These 10's are 350 watt speakers. The cabinet enhances the clarity and punch AND volume. The 1210 enhances the clarity and punch more than the outright volume but the 1210 is still louder than anything else I've ever heard in that size cabinet.

I used my 410 for the fifth time Saturday in a club I normally use the 1210 just to see how it performed. It was killer, now for the 5th time in a row. So the score so far is Schroeder cabs 16 killer and 1 decent sounding gig outta 17 gigs. The one "decent" sounding the 1210 needed PA support in the room. The next time we played there I used the 410 and didn't need the PA.

Most my other cabs including a host of EA, Epifani, Ampeg, SWR, Eden, Peavey, LDS, and others, I was lucky to get a decent "fun" sound on stage 1/2 to 2/3 the time and of those only 1/2 sounded "good" in the room too. They were usually either mushy or thin off the stage.

Did you get any comments from the other bands about your 410? Please pass on what you may have heard, + or -.

LKaye

8. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    Did any of you 410 Schroeder users compare the 410 with the 21012 before you chose? How would you characterize the difference in sound, punch and max volume?

Curt

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yes, do tell...

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I got to compare the 410 and 21012, but only after I had already bought my 410.

All the Schroeder cabs have a lot of punch IMO.
    The 410 is simply the punchiest cabinet I've ever heard by a good margin (especially with my equipment).

The 21012 has more heft from the low end up through the lower midrange -- a thicker, deeper, slightly rounder tone.

I didn't really crank the 21012, but I bet it would sound just as loud and powerful as the 410 -- just in a different way.

I have not experimented with cutting the bass with a 21012 to see what happens, but I suspect that the 410 is more of a chameleon when EQ'ed -- I think you'd have more luck getting the 410 to sound like the 21012 than vise-versa (mainly because of the 'punch' factor).

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I think there is one thing you have to remember when talking about not using PA in venues etc with your Schroeder. Alot of the times it CAN'T be done for a simple fact of stage volume IMO.

Sure, my Schroeder 410 could EASILY fill all the BIG halls i've been playing in lately, or even the medium to small sized venues easily if I couldn't go through PA, but if I WAS to crank it up and not use PA, i'd pretty much flood the stage with bass.
    I think it's more the case in different situations, in all those big areas with a sort of quite sound (jazz, blues etc) I can see someone not using PA most of the time, because the schroeder fills a room well, but in a lot of circumstances (especially in rock, hard rock, heavy etc) you'd want PA support just so your not drowning out your band mates.

Like, as nice as it is to hear yourself on stage, your band mates need to be able to hear themselves too..

I hope that made sense :p In a nutshell, I COULD turn up my amp and do pretty much any of the gigs I needed to without PA but the levels on stage (and even off stage really) would get pretty out of hand.

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I haven't found this to be the case for me with either of the two bands I've been in since I got the 410.

I think it has something to do with the way the Schroeders throw the sound -- seems to get louder the farther out you are from the cab (up to a point, of course).

I get asked by my current band to turn up more than to turn down -- I think it partially how I aim the cab -- I normally like to set up just to the drummer's left, right next to his snare drum, I have an easier time locking in with him like this (I usually angle my cab to where it's pointing somewhat towards the drummer), but... because the other band members have been asking me to turn up, I think I will swap sides with the guitarists, that way the angled baffle will be aimed more towards them (and the drummer) which I think the sound will project better that way.

I'll let you know how it goes.

13. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, i'm on the drummers kick side. I feel uncomfortable on the snare side.

I just played a gig on the weekend in a big, open wooden hall. I had perfect stage volume (and a little more) with my master on about .5-1 and about 7 on the gain. The hall holds 700 people (give or take) and I filled it out easily. I could of gone louder, but I would of been too loud on stage, and I had good enough PA to fill the hall with no boominess from the stage.
    I'm a happy camper :d

14. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    I'm sure this is just me (Mr. Non-Metal Guy), but I had no clue there were so many sub-categories of metal.

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

There's many more too...what about black metal and all the offshoots too...

16. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    See? I knew it. It's just me.

17. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    Congrats on the new cab!

And I really dig your band.

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I know this prolly should be in Amps page, but it has to do with my cab, so I figgered I could ask here.

Should I go ahead and bridge my amp (to 1500W) into my 1210?? I'm pushing my amp all the way a lot of the time, with my Dem's volume at about 75%, and the cab takes it, but I just don't like it when my power amp has that danged red clip light on almost the entire time I'm playing... Just wanna know how many others bridge power amps into their cabs and what the results typically have been. I won't crank it so it'll blow, but just a few pointers would be awesome...

Thanks!!

19. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    clipping your power amp can be bad for your speakers. i'd bridge it right away.

20. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Nah man, I'm a pretty big metal-head, and even I get lost in all the cats... it's a stupid system anyway, really. I just listen to what I like, I don't care if it's xhardcore-screamo-death-hiphop or straight up rock.

-Ray