1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

First Solo Bass Show

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ChiliPepper, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Hey guys,

my college organizes a Talent Show next Friday and I decided to play some solo bass ! :bassist:

I haven't gigged in a while and this will be the first time that it's just going to be my and my bass :bag: The audience will be mostly non musicians and I really wanted to keep that in mind when I thought about a possible playlist. I wanna start off with Love Thing and Moonlight Sonota ( basically the first 2 minutes and 43 seconds from this video )

Here's what I got so far

Beethoven – Moonlight Sonata ( Stu Hamm's interpretation )
    Stu Hamm - Love Thing
    Some Classical Tapping from a book

Movie Themes

Mission Impossible
    The Godfather
    Pink Panther
    Jaws
    Beverly Hills Cop

TV

The Simpsons
    Itchy and Scratchy

some improvisation ( percussive & slapping )

Misc.

Country Music ( Stu Hamm)
    Auld Lang Syne
    When Johnny comes marching home
    Mexican Hat Dance

Video games

Mario Brothers
    Tetris

Hip Hop segment ( Outkast, P. Diddy, 50 Cent etc.)

I'm pretty sure that I want to start with the Love Thing/Moonlight Sonata but I'm not sure what I play after that. The list is obviously quite crazy which is exactly what I want...from 17th/18th century classical german music to the Godfather theme or Mario. I'll be using various techniques which I think show what how much you can do on a bass. At the same time, I want to entertain the crowd and play stuff everyone knows. What do you guys think ? Has anyone ever done something similar ?

2. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    Sounds like a plan, I did something similar in high school. The transitions are what are going to make it or brake it. Make sure you have smooth switches, transpose the keys if necessary and keep it as fluent as possible. Don't overdo the "crowd pleaser" basslines. Just play them for as long as the audience are chuckling about it and move on to the next.

Two possible additions: "good times" by chic. I guess it's pretty much the most recognized bass line there is. Would be a good transition from the beginning classical stuff.

The Darth Vader theme from star wars. Overplay with huge distortion.

3. Yeah, transitions are definitely important. I wanna play it all without any break and the crowd pleasers are rather short snippets, for example the Mexican Hat Dance is only about 20 seconds. So hopefully the audience is still chuckling about a song while I'm switching to the next one.

great suggestions ! I think i'll add them.

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Some great tunes in there, Laurent - as has been said, keep each bit short and sweet and make it an exploration of the wide variety of stuff that can be done with a solo bass. A good mix of chops and humour should go down well, and remember to leave them wanting a little bit more.

Don't forget to finish with a quote from "The Sound Of Music", like Jaco did on Slang on the 8:30 album. That awesome final clang should go down well, too. :D

5. I might include this and this and Amazing Grace.

6. themurm523

themurm523

Mar 1, 2010
    wow that is sick if you play moonlight sonata like that you will be sure to please the crowd

7. yeah man, Stu did a great job rearranging it for bass. Tomorrow's the big day ! By the way, I'll be playing this beauty :
    KneeBeefinished1.jpg

Can't wait for all the funny questions :D

8. oh do you think it's a good idea to have 2 or 3 beers before playing ? I played the entire playlist an hour ago and it went quite well. However, as we all know playing on a stage in front of about 70 people ( according to Facebook :D ) is something different and some booze might help.

9. Save the beers as a reward for the show. I don't believe you will perform with as much sensitivity after a few drinks. Moonlight sonata will require all the wits you can muster. It sounds like plenty of fun already, without the 'Dutch Courage'. My opinion anyway.
    Good luck

10. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    All beers have ever done for me have made me piss a lot.

11. ^^^^^This too. When you get to 'Moonlight Sonata' and you're busting for a slash, you'll have your answer.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020